My first spaceship

Old May 18th 11, 08:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Val Kraut

Default My first spaceship

The good old "no nonsense days" when rocket ships came with disentgrator
rays and/or atomic space torpedeos as standard equipment. I had the Rocket
Cockpit from Space Patrol - it shot "atomic" soda straws using rubber bands
through small rectangular tubes on both sides.

Val Kraut

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
ne...
I had one of these as a kid:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2011/...rd-space-ship/
The star map was a real one for navigation and was printed by the Naval
Observatory; controls on the instrument panel were made out of tinker
toys - here's some more on it:
http://wesclark.com/am/space.html

Pat

Old May 18th 11, 11:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Val Kraut

" Never saw one of those; sounds like it would be a major collector's item
nowadays.

As with most of the quarter and a box top fare it was coordinated with the
show. The new Top Secret Rocket Cockpit included not just a faster than
light space drive - but also a time drive. This was a fold together 3-d
model with rotating controls etc. You could select pictures of different
planets on the view screen etc. You punched out the dials etc, and installed
them with brass things with fold out tabs used to hold paper stacks
together.

One show theme was The Theft of the Rocket Cockpit - two criminals steal the
unit and go back to 1950s, Buzz and Happy chase them around Yucca Flats
during a Nuclear test - and remember there was no Gamma Null in the drug
stores those days.

The other goodies included a space helmet with one way visor, Martian Totem
Head, special message rocket among others.

Val Kraut

Old May 19th 11, 12:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 5/18/2011 11:50 AM, Val Kraut wrote:
The good old "no nonsense days" when rocket ships came with disentgrator
rays and/or atomic space torpedeos as standard equipment. I had the Rocket
Cockpit from Space Patrol - it shot "atomic" soda straws using rubber bands
through small rectangular tubes on both sides.

Never saw one of those; sounds like it would be a major collector's item
nowadays.
Years and years back, I made a cutaway model of the "Polaris" from the
"Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" books out of an Aurora Skipjack submarine
model and leftover model parts.
On the cardboard rocketship the nose gun could be slid in and out to
simulate it recoiling on firing, and swiveled a bit up-and-down and
side-to-side.
The star map really had me going when I first got it, as it was all
based on named stars seen from the Earth's surface and their latitude
and longitude in the sky, rather than their location in space.
I imagine you could really use such a chart for navigation inside the
Solar System, but I had wider ambitions. ;-)

Pat
Old May 19th 11, 03:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 19/05/2011 9:39 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
[...]

I've still got one of those books! It's in a packing carton somewhere,
but I've still got it.
Old May 19th 11, 04:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 5/18/2011 2:59 PM, Val Kraut wrote:
" Never saw one of those; sounds like it would be a major collector's item
nowadays.

As with most of the quarter and a box top fare it was coordinated with the
show. The new Top Secret Rocket Cockpit included not just a faster than
light space drive - but also a time drive. This was a fold together 3-d
model with rotating controls etc. You could select pictures of different
planets on the view screen etc. You punched out the dials etc, and installed
them with brass things with fold out tabs used to hold paper stacks
together.

One show theme was The Theft of the Rocket Cockpit - two criminals steal the
unit and go back to 1950s,

I ran across that episode today while looking for info on the control
panel toy.

Buzz and Happy chase them around Yucca Flats
during a Nuclear test - and remember there was no Gamma Null in the drug
stores those days.

I never saw any episode of that show; oldest stuff I saw first-run was
"Men Into Space" and old reruns of Captain Midnight retitled as "Jet
Jackson".

The other goodies included a space helmet with one way visor, Martian Totem
Head, special message rocket among others.

Never saw any of those either.

Pat

Old May 21st 11, 12:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jonathan

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
ne...
I had one of these as a kid:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2011/...rd-space-ship/
The star map was a real one for navigation and was printed by the Naval
Observatory; controls on the instrument panel were made out of tinker
toys - here's some more on it:
http://wesclark.com/am/space.html

As a kid I bought almost the same thing, except it was
a big cardboard submarine, not a spaceship. I only
remember it costs $6, it had a periscope and had
to wait weeks and weeks for it to arrive.
http://www.dograt.com/2008/06/20/csi...rine-immersed/

Pat

Old May 21st 11, 01:38 PM
Dimkah Dimkah is offline
Banned

Old May 21st 11, 10:39 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:38:28 -0800, Pat Flannery wrote:

I had one of these as a kid:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2011/...rd-space-ship/
The star map was a real one for navigation and was printed by the Naval
Observatory; controls on the instrument panel were made out of tinker
toys - here's some more on it:
http://wesclark.com/am/space.html

Pat

Damn! I can remember seeing this on the back of my comic books when I was a kid!
Thanks for posting it. I also seem to remember a spaceship, possibly a prize in
a contest, that sat four. Anyone remember anything like that? I also remember a
contest on the back of the comics where the lucky winners whole baseball team
would be furnished with equipment. Damn, those were the days. I can recall
sending in a dollar and a boxtop from a cereal and getting an model B-58 Hustler
bomber that would drop "The Big One" when you pushed a button pn the top of the
fuselage! Wish I was ten again, but only in the Fifties.
Old May 22nd 11, 01:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 5/21/2011 4:38 AM, Dimkah wrote:
The new Top Secret Rocket Cockpit included not just a faster than
light space drive - but also a time drive. This was a fold together 3-d
model with rotating controls etc.

You can't fool me, this thing was a disguised TARDIS.
Was there any odd acting guy around wearing a big scarf and a beat-up
hat when it showed up in the mail? ;-)

Pat

Spaceship 1 Michael Gallagher Policy 60 October 10th 04 09:46 AM
Spaceship 1 Michael Gallagher History 61 October 10th 04 09:46 AM
Spaceship 1 starlord Misc 16 June 23rd 04 06:58 PM
Spaceship 1 starlord Amateur Astronomy 12 June 23rd 04 03:56 PM
Spaceship One Michael Gallagher History 0 June 22nd 04 04:43 PM