Astronomers identify some of the oldest galaxies in the universe

Old August 18th 18, 02:00 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

Default Astronomers identify some of the oldest galaxies in the universe

Astronomers identify some of the oldest galaxies in the universe
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0816183200.htm

Close to the milky way!

Old August 18th 18, 08:07 PM posted to sci.astro
Michael F. Stemper

On 2018-08-18 08:00, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Astronomers identify some of the oldest galaxies in the universe
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0816183200.htm

Close to the milky way!

The fact that the ones identified are close to us is just because
we can't adequately observe faint satellites of other galaxies,
right? This article doesn't actually imply that we occupy some special
spot where galactic formation first happened, does it?

--
Michael F. Stemper
I feel more like I do now than I did when I came in.
Old August 19th 18, 12:50 AM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Michael F. Stemper:

On 2018-08-18 08:00, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Astronomers identify some of the oldest galaxies
in the universe
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0816183200.htm

The fact that the ones identified are close to us
is just because we can't adequately observe faint
satellites of other galaxies, right? This article
doesn't actually imply that we occupy some special
spot where galactic formation first happened, does
it?

Correct, it does not. Our eyesight is poor. We'd have trouble seeing such things around other galaxies. The expectation is that what we see, is like what other observers in other galaxies would see, now.

David A. Smith
Old August 19th 18, 09:27 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 18 Aug 2018 14:07:42 -0500) it happened "Michael F.

On 2018-08-18 08:00, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Astronomers identify some of the oldest galaxies in the universe
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0816183200.htm

Close to the milky way!

The fact that the ones identified are close to us is just because
we can't adequately observe faint satellites of other galaxies,
right? This article doesn't actually imply that we occupy some special
spot where galactic formation first happened, does it?

They say that those old galaxies orbit the milky way,
that 'in orbit around us' makes me wonder for an explanation.
If they just meant 'visible around us' that would be different?

Old August 19th 18, 04:24 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Jan Panteltje:

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 1:28:12 AM UTC-7, Jan Panteltje wrote:
They say that those old galaxies orbit the
milky way, that 'in orbit around us' makes me
wonder for an explanation. If they just meant
'visible around us' that would be different?

They are part of the Virgo supercluster either way. The Small Magellanic Cloud is in orbit with the Milky Way, at least until we collide with Andromeda. The Large Magellanic Cloud is likely outbound, not bound to the Milky Way, having "recently" passed through it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satell..._the_Milky_Way
.... and note that this lists the Large Magellanic Cloud as being bound.

David A. Smith
Old August 19th 18, 05:11 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 19 Aug 2018 08:24:58 -0700 (PDT)) it happened dlzc
wrote in
:

Dear Jan Panteltje:

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 1:28:12 AM UTC-7, Jan Panteltje wrote:
They say that those old galaxies orbit the
milky way, that 'in orbit around us' makes me
wonder for an explanation. If they just meant
'visible around us' that would be different?

They are part of the Virgo supercluster either way. The Small Magellanic Cloud
is in orbit with the Milky Way, at least until we collide with Andromeda.
The Large Magellanic Cloud is likely outbound, not bound to the Milky Way,
having "recently" passed through it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satell..._the_Milky_Way
... and note that this lists the Large Magellanic Cloud as being bound.

David A. Smith

Nice link, nice clickable map too!
Thank you.
Old August 21st 18, 06:19 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
"Michael F. Stemper" writes:
The fact that the ones identified are close to us is just because
we can't adequately observe faint satellites of other galaxies,
right? This article doesn't actually imply that we occupy some special
spot where galactic formation first happened, does it?

Indeed. Presumably all galaxies similar to the Milky Way have their
own ancient satellites.

A more informative press release -- at least in my opinion -- is at
https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2018-17

(I personally had no role in the research or any press release.)

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA