Best Fuel for use with nitrous oxide

Old May 17th 06, 11:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.tech

Default Best Fuel for use with nitrous oxide

Since the success of SS1, there has been greater interest in rockets
using N2O as an oxidizer.

The pluses of N2O seem to be:
1) Availability - You can buy a tanker truck full of rocket grade
nitrous without much trouble.
2) Self Pressurizing - simplifies pressure-fed systems.
3) Non-cryogenic - liquid at room temp. under high pressure or slightly
chilled at modest pressure.
4) Low toxicity/high safety

and the minuses appear to be:
1) Cost - not as cheap as LOX
2) Low density
3) Low performance - compared to LOX, H2O2, N2O4, etc. (under 250s with
hydrocarbons)

Recently, I noticed that nitrous oxide should make an IDEAL oxidizer
for Aluminum Borohydride AlB3H12. The Aluminum reacts preferentially
with the oxygen, while the boron ends up reacting only with the
nitrogen. The chamber temperature is 3000K, and the exhaust is
non-toxic.

As I understand it, BN is much less problematic in the exhaust than
B2O3 is, and handling Al2O3 is established engineering.

Running the numbers through ProPEP, I see that performance could rival
LOX/LH2 when using a VERY high expansion ratio - 1:5000 gives a
theoretical ISP of about 452. If a working engine using this
combination could be built with an ISP over 400, I imagine it would be
far better suited as a lunar lander engine than NASA's current hope for
LOX/Methane.

The physical properties of N2O and Aluminum borohydride would also make
them very useful for an orbital fueling station.

So what do you all think?

Old May 18th 06, 03:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.tech

Salami is a good fuel for N2O.

See
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/e..._reopened.html

Tom

Old May 18th 06, 10:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.tech

On the down side it is self Pressurizing. ie requires big heavy tanks.

It is real hard to beat LOX. Its dense so pumps are quite a lot easier.
Really hard to make a case for other oxidisers. By the way I use N2O
with my High Power Rockets. Real good for that size were min gauge
issues eat you up whole. SS1 motor was also tiny. So i don't think this
is a good reason to switch to N2O for a general oxidizer.

But for smaller engines then yea it could make sense. Cheaper to deal
with that H2O2 and Co.

By the way a Nozzel with 1:5000 expansion ratio is going to be *way*
too heavy. You will lose more than you gain.

Greg

Old June 3rd 06, 06:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.tech

I think the main application for NO2 in spaceflight is as a competitor
for N2O2 in situations where a storable propellant is needed,
particularly on manned spacecraft. Years ago it was assumed N2O4 would
get "easier" to handle with time, but the cost of working with
hazardous materials has not declined; the requirements for contingency
preparations, training, medical support, PPE, etc remain a major cost
that can outweigh the mass advantage of N2O4. NO2 is essentially
nontoxic, though NASA requirements could end up specifying an (in my
opinion) unnecessary level of protection that would make it just as
expensive to use as N2O4.