How big would an SSTO be?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29th 07, 05:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Cornell

Default How big would an SSTO be?

If someone were to build an SSTO using realistic assumptions about mass
ratios and available power systems, how big a vehicle would be needed to
send (say) three people and a modest amount of cargo into LEO? I have
seen Apollo capsules in museums, so I am using them as my baseline.
Would such a thing be the size of a regular jetliner? Or the new Airbus
super jumbo jet? Or are we talking about a Zeppelin on steroids?

Also, how would these things scale? If we wanted to increase the crew
from three to four, would the vehicle size go up by a third? Or more?

Thanks

David Cornell

Skylon SSTO [email protected] Policy 238 February 1st 07 01:15 AM
Skylon SSTO Henry Spencer History 34 February 1st 07 01:15 AM
SSTO - what's the point? vello Space Shuttle 29 August 31st 05 07:55 AM
HAVE REGION, X-33, SSTO, Urie Allen Thomson History 3 December 6th 03 07:09 PM
Accelerator Turbojet for SSTO johnhare Technology 0 July 9th 03 10:15 AM