Spiral NGC 5211

Old June 22nd 15, 07:13 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Spiral NGC 5211

NGC 5211 is a rather strange spiral galaxy in Virgo 170 to 180 million light-years distant. It is classified by NED as (R')SAB(rs)ab pec though the NGC project says Sb/SBb apparently undecided if it is a barred spiral or not. Some sources say it is similar to NGC 210 though NED and the NGC project classifies that as SAB(s)b (no ring). So by the NGC project they are similar and by NED they aren't. My image of NGC 210 is at http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=3160&stc=1 . To me it is similar in that the outer arms start from the ends of very faint bars extending out from in inner disk.

NGC 5211 was discovered by William Herschel on April 14, 1828 but is not in either of the two Herschel 400 observing programs. It is a rather large galaxy. I get a diameter of about 112,000 light-years assuming the 180 million light-year distant. It has one apparent true companion UGC 8526. It has a slightly larger red-shift putting it at 190 million light-years. Since relative velocities can easily account for this difference it is likely they are closer to the same distance than red-shift indicates. It is a much smaller spiral being only a bit over 41,000 light-years across. NED classifies it simply as S? Other sources call it a blue compact galaxy. It looks like an Sbc to my untrained eye. It is about the same size as M33 but has a much higher surface brightness and star density than M33.

While the field is near the edge of the Virgo Cluster none of that cluster's galaxies are in the image. In fact all are well beyond the cluster. Most that NED has red-shift data on are more than a billion light-years distant with one at almost 6 billion light-years. Thus most are quite faint. The faintest I found red-shift data for was Magnitude 22.9 indicating this night was more transparent than I've had in months. Unfortunately seeing wasn't as great.

To recap some abbreviations used in the annotated image. "p" means it is a photographic red-shift rather than the more accurate spectroscopic red-shift. NLAGN stands for Narrow Line Active Galactic Nucleus indicating it is a close cousin to a quasar. BLAGN is Broad Line Active Galactic Nucleus http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/S...ll/frames.html This link is by an astronomer I worked with for quite a few years. He's also an avid amateur astronomer. ELG means an emission line galaxy where emission lines are obvious in its spectrum http://www.usm.uni-muenchen.de/peopl...tra/node4.html . NELG means narrow emission line galaxy. LINER means Low-Ionization Nuclear Emission-line Region http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/G...say_liner.html .

14" LX200R, L=4x10' RGB=2x10", STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5211L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	5756  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5211L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	5757  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5211-UGC 08526L4X10RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	5758

Last edited by WA0CKY : June 22nd 15 at 07:18 AM.
Old July 6th 15, 12:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that's remarkably similar to NGC 210 indeed. And I am still amazed that your
NGC 210 is at least as good as the one I got in Namibia.

Stefan

emission lines are obvious in its spectrum http://tinyurl.com/osjbk9f .

--
WA0CKY

kkh 24 A spiral in the dust WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 April 22nd 15 10:04 PM
What if(on in spiral) G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 3 August 26th 08 01:22 PM
Spiral Peter Johns Misc 3 April 15th 07 04:41 PM
Wonderful spiral EP Guy Amateur Astronomy 3 February 8th 06 01:52 PM
Spiral 1 is redundant [email protected] Policy 20 March 13th 05 01:07 AM