Xephem/Macintosh: How to install INDI drivers for ETX

Old January 14th 06, 02:53 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

Default Xephem/Macintosh: How to install INDI drivers for ETX

I succcessfully installed Xephem (3.7.1) and would like to control my
Meade ETX with it. I downloaded INDI
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/i...ar.gz?download
and followed the instructions. However Make ended with error 2.
Could anyone who successfully did it provide me with instructions (on
Mac OS X 10.4.4) please.
(I'll be using a Keyspan USB adapter to the RS-232 port).

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
Old January 14th 06, 08:54 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

Marc Heusser:

I succcessfully installed Xephem (3.7.1) and would like to control my
Meade ETX with it. I downloaded INDI
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/i...ar.gz?download
and followed the instructions. However Make ended with error 2.
Could anyone who successfully did it provide me with instructions (on
Mac OS X 10.4.4) please.
(I'll be using a Keyspan USB adapter to the RS-232 port).

There is a very active XEphem discussion group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xephem. Your question would almost
certainly bring an answer there.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old January 15th 06, 12:24 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Marc Heusser:

I succcessfully installed Xephem (3.7.1) and would like to control my
Meade ETX with it. I downloaded INDI
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/i...ar.gz?download
and followed the instructions. However Make ended with error 2.
Could anyone who successfully did it provide me with instructions (on
Mac OS X 10.4.4) please.
(I'll be using a Keyspan USB adapter to the RS-232 port).

There is a very active XEphem discussion group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xephem. Your question would almost
certainly bring an answer there.

Davoud

Thank you very much for the pointer.
Unfortunately it seems it is not accessible unless you have a Yahoo ID -
and it seems that you cannot get one without giving credit card details
(what for by the way?), which I am not willing to do.
Is there any other way to get the information?
TIA

Marc

Old January 15th 06, 12:52 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

In article ,
Marc Heusser alid
wrote:

Thank you very much for the pointer.
Unfortunately it seems it is not accessible unless you have a Yahoo ID -
and it seems that you cannot get one without giving credit card details
(what for by the way?), which I am not willing to do.
Is there any other way to get the information?
TI

That's not true, where in "signup" process were you asked for a credit
card?
--
W. Oates
"I thought I was the last son of Krypton,

Old January 15th 06, 02:29 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

Marc Heusser wrote:

Thank you very much for the pointer.
Unfortunately it seems it is not accessible unless you have a Yahoo ID -
and it seems that you cannot get one without giving credit card details
(what for by the way?), which I am not willing to do.
Is there any other way to get the information?
TIA

Marc

Actually you can access it without the hassle
Just go back, and subscribe to the email digest
version. No problem, and no hassle
No credit card, no nothing.
Worked for me.

There is not a lot of traffic there, but Elwood Downey
the creator of XEphem posts there, and if ya email him
with a problem (like I did) he will respond.

My problem was that CentOS dosnt handle POSIX to
standards, and I couldnt load either disk 2 or disk 3
He showed me how to edit the install script, and within
five minutes of getting his email (BTW he responded to
me within three hours) I had the install going, and it
all worked out fine. (now have charts down to mag 19.90)
Cant gaurentee he will have the answers for drivers that
he has no control of, but he seems more than willing to
help people out

AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

Linux CentOS 4.2, KDE 3.3
Old January 15th 06, 04:18 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

In article ,
Warren Oates wrote:

In article ,
Marc Heusser alid
wrote:

Thank you very much for the pointer.
Unfortunately it seems it is not accessible unless you have a Yahoo ID -
and it seems that you cannot get one without giving credit card details
(what for by the way?), which I am not willing to do.
Is there any other way to get the information?
TI

That's not true, where in "signup" process were you asked for a credit
card?

Then clicked button "Join this group"; then "Sign up"; first page filled
out, accepted terms and then it would ask for this info.

I'll try to subscribe to the e-mail list as someone else described.

Marc

Old January 15th 06, 04:23 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

In article ,
AM wrote:

Actually you can access it without the hassle
Just go back, and subscribe to the email digest
version. No problem, and no hassle
No credit card, no nothing.
Worked for me.

There is not a lot of traffic there, but Elwood Downey
the creator of XEphem posts there, and if ya email him
with a problem (like I did) he will respond.

I'll try that - thanks a lot.

Marc

Old January 15th 06, 04:37 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

Davoud wrote:
There is a very active XEphem discussion group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xephem. Your question would almost
certainly bring an answer there.

Marc Heusser replied:
Thank you very much for the pointer.
Unfortunately it seems it is not accessible unless you have a Yahoo ID -
and it seems that you cannot get one without giving credit card details
(what for by the way?), which I am not willing to do.
Is there any other way to get the information?

I'm very sorry. Perhaps Yahoo somehow discriminates against IP
addresses originating outside the U.S. Yahoo ID's are free, and it is
not necessary to provide credit card data to get a Yahoo ID in the U.S.

Please try this URL: http://tinyurl.com/e434q and let me know if it
works. If not, I'll be pleased to contact Yahoo customer service and
ask them which URL one should use for a free, no-credit-card-needed
account.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old January 15th 06, 04:56 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

Marc Heusser wrote:

I'll try that - thanks a lot.

Marc

Np. Worse comes to worse, just email him directly

The group could possibly help ya out too.

Old January 15th 06, 06:20 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,sci.astro.amateur

Marc Heusser:
Then clicked button "Join this group"; then "Sign up"; first page filled
out, accepted terms and then it would ask for this info.

That could be the problem. You sign up for the Yahoo ID /first/
http://tinyurl.com/e434q and /then/ you go and join a Group.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com