Failure ...

Old September 11th 03, 12:52 PM
Jon Berndt

Default Failure ...

I have been "quoted" by the local netkook (who can't spell) who wrote,
"Berndt sez Failure is an option".

Of course I didn't say that. Failure is not an option. Failure is a fact of
life. Almost 100 years of powered flight have shown we can't build an
aircraft that doesn't crash. We can't build a car that guarantees the safety
of its occupants in a crash. We can't build a ship that doesn't sink.
Failure is a fact of life, and we ought to be thankful that there are those
who will gladly stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before them
and risk everything. We are where we are today in aviation because somebody
pushed the flight envelope to expand our knowledge envelope. Some gave their
lives in doing so and taught us even more about aircraft safety, or metal
fatigue, or instability, or complacency, or oversight, etc.

Jon

Old September 11th 03, 06:08 PM
Derek Lyons

"Jon Berndt" wrote:

We can't build a ship that doesn't sink.

The submarine community will be surprised to learn that... G

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.

Old September 11th 03, 09:08 PM
Stephen Stocker

On 2003-09-11, Derek Lyons wrote:
"Jon Berndt" wrote:

We can't build a ship that doesn't sink.

The submarine community will be surprised to learn that... G

D.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! Perfect logic, and that's almost as
bad as some of the things I come up with! LOL.

Steve
Old September 11th 03, 10:23 PM
OM

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:52:29 -0500, "Jon Berndt"
wrote:

We can't build a ship that doesn't sink.

....This is true. In anticipation of a Derek Lyons retort, I submit
that a sub is not a ship, but a boat.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 12th 03, 12:23 AM
Scott M. Kozel

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

"Jon Berndt" wrote:

We can't build a ship that doesn't sink.

...This is true. In anticipation of a Derek Lyons retort, I submit
that a sub is not a ship, but a boat.

The submariners call it a "boat" and not a "ship".
Old September 12th 03, 09:35 AM
Derek Lyons

wrote:

We can't build a ship that doesn't sink.

...This is true. In anticipation of a Derek Lyons retort, I submit
that a sub is not a ship, but a boat.

'Boat' is a slang term when referring to submarines. Were it an
actual 'boat' (as the Navy terms such things) it would not have a hull
number, a CO, or have 'USS' in front of the name it wouldn't have.

D.

Old September 12th 03, 06:41 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Derek Lyons
writes

wrote:

We can't build a ship that doesn't sink.

...This is true. In anticipation of a Derek Lyons retort, I submit
that a sub is not a ship, but a boat.

'Boat' is a slang term when referring to submarines. Were it an
actual 'boat' (as the Navy terms such things) it would not have a hull
number, a CO, or have 'USS' in front of the name it wouldn't have.

In that case, why does General Dynamics have an Electric Boat Division?
Old September 13th 03, 04:50 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote:

We can't build a ship that doesn't sink.

...This is true. In anticipation of a Derek Lyons retort, I submit
that a sub is not a ship, but a boat.

'Boat' is a slang term when referring to submarines. Were it an
actual 'boat' (as the Navy terms such things) it would not have a hull
number, a CO, or have 'USS' in front of the name it wouldn't have.

Has that changed?

All PT Boats had a hull number and a CO (but they obviously did not have a
USS or a name).

Granted, PT Boats are no more, but I don't know about River boats, etc.

(and as I recall, not an USN vessels are USS, correct? (like support
vessels?)

D.