Why are astronomers so blind

Old November 2nd 04, 04:32 PM
Karl Heinz Buchegger

mick wrote:

[snip]
When you have answered this, then we shall proceed to attempt to
educate you.

i don't think you can call on cepheid variables to help you here. In fact I
think that cepheid variables are typical of the kind of science that
astronomers do ie extrapolate from very little data.

But this data is all we have.
With cepheids the cosmic scale in the near distance was 'calibrated'
Once this was know, the brightness of supernovae could be calibrated
against the distance. Having done that, the redshift could be calibrated
against the now 'know' distances. Having the redshift calibrated we can use
it to measure the far distances.

Naturely, all of this isn't 100% exact. But it is all we have and it
is better then nothing.

You know, there is no watch where we can go to and look how old the
universe is exactly. And there is also no space ship to measure the
exact distance to the farthest galaxies just as you can measure distances
with your car and looking at the odometer. All we can do, is to measure
distances in an indirect way. Just as in former centuries, the continents
were measured by starting at a fixed point, doing triangulation
lots of calculations and hoping that the error wasn't too large.

Nobody knows for sure if the universy is really at an age of
13.7 billion years. It can be 13.5 or 14.0 or 14.5 So what
good is that number? Well. It surely tells us that the universe
it definitly not younger then 5000 years :-) We have an impression
of what that age is (roughly) and we have an impression of what
order the age *not* is.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger

Old November 3rd 04, 06:05 PM
mick

Default Why are astronomers so blind

When hubble first discovered that some galaxies were red shifted and the
theory that they were moving away from us was reasonable. When it was
discovered that all galaxies were redshifted should have caused some to
think again about the doppler effect. When it was discovered that the
further away a galaxy was the greater the redshift should have had alarm
bells ringing in the heads of all the astronomers. Now when galaxies have
been discovered whose light was emitted before the big bang is supposed to
have happened. This is evidence that light is redshifted when it passes
through vast amounts of space not that the body giving off the light is
moving (which it maybe doing).
Let the Big Bang theory and the Expanding universe theory Die and RIP..

postman

Old November 3rd 04, 07:12 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , John Zinni
writes
"mick" wrote in message
When hubble first discovered that some galaxies were red shifted and the
theory that they were moving away from us was reasonable. When it was
discovered that all galaxies were redshifted should have caused some to
think again about the doppler effect. When it was discovered that the
further away a galaxy was the greater the redshift should have had alarm
bells ringing in the heads of all the astronomers.

Now when galaxies have
been discovered whose light was emitted before the big bang is supposed to
have happened.

Reference please.

Be serious :-) It will be (at best) a 5 year old popular article. And
perhaps he'll explain what he means by "think again about the Doppler
effect".
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.
Old November 3rd 04, 07:56 PM
Fcuk U

mick wrote:
When hubble first discovered that some galaxies were red shifted and the
theory that they were moving away from us was reasonable. When it was
discovered that all galaxies were redshifted should have caused some to
think again about the doppler effect. When it was discovered that the
further away a galaxy was the greater the redshift should have had alarm
bells ringing in the heads of all the astronomers. Now when galaxies have
been discovered whose light was emitted before the big bang is supposed to
have happened. This is evidence that light is redshifted when it passes
through vast amounts of space not that the body giving off the light is
moving (which it maybe doing).
Let the Big Bang theory and the Expanding universe theory Die and RIP..

postman

I think we've found us a believer...in Genesis.
Old November 3rd 04, 08:12 PM
mick

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

In message , John Zinni
writes
"mick" wrote in message
When hubble first discovered that some galaxies were red shifted and the
theory that they were moving away from us was reasonable. When it was
discovered that all galaxies were redshifted should have caused some to
think again about the doppler effect. When it was discovered that the
further away a galaxy was the greater the redshift should have had alarm
bells ringing in the heads of all the astronomers.

Now when galaxies have
been discovered whose light was emitted before the big bang is supposed
to have happened.

Reference please.

Be serious :-) It will be (at best) a 5 year old popular article. And
perhaps he'll explain what he means by "think again about the Doppler
effect".

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...xy_040216.html
http://www.newtonphysics.on.ca/HUBBLE/Hubble.html
Not perhaps academic enough but enough to make my point.
redshift theory sugests that the galaxy in the top reference is 13 billion
years old and the convoluted theory of the big bang would put our galaxy
somewhere in the vicinity 13 billion years ago would that suggest that if
we could recognise the milky way 13 billion years ago it would also be
redshifted to such and extent it was moving away from us at approaching the
speed of light.
The work in the second reference while it might not be totally correct
suggests a more likly reason for the fabled redshift effect of distant
galaxies.

postman
Old November 3rd 04, 08:20 PM
mick

Fcuk U wrote:

mick wrote:
When hubble first discovered that some galaxies were red shifted and the
theory that they were moving away from us was reasonable. When it was
discovered that all galaxies were redshifted should have caused some to
think again about the doppler effect. When it was discovered that the
further away a galaxy was the greater the redshift should have had alarm
bells ringing in the heads of all the astronomers. Now when galaxies have
been discovered whose light was emitted before the big bang is supposed
to have happened. This is evidence that light is redshifted when it
passes through vast amounts of space not that the body giving off the
light is moving (which it maybe doing).
Let the Big Bang theory and the Expanding universe theory Die and RIP..

postman

I think we've found us a believer...in Genesis.

No wrong again
I don't believe in God or any supreme being. But what I do believe in is
your inability to reason without a pile of books to back up your ideas. The
reason is that you are an organism that is programmed to respond to
stimulae in a preset fashion dictated by your past experiences. Original
thought is not part of your programming

postman
Old November 3rd 04, 10:06 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:20:02 +0000, mick
wrote:

Fcuk U wrote:

mick wrote:
[...]

Whereas *you* can? So where's your original research to back up your
point, or did you read it in an article? Oh yeah, you*DID* read it in
an article. Pity you didn't understand it, nor think critically before
you opened your stupid mouth.

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old November 3rd 04, 10:22 PM
mick

wrote:

Fcuk U wrote:

mick wrote:
[...]

This uncalled for outburst tells me exactly what kind of person you are. Did
you do any thinking before you pressed the send button..

postman
Old November 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
Wally Anglesea™

wrote:

Fcuk U wrote:

mick wrote:
[...]

Sometimes ya have to call a spade a spade. It saves time, moron. Look
at your posts, and the subject line. Yes, I *did* think before I
posted.