Are we alone? No

Old August 19th 03, 06:59 PM
CeeBee

Default Are we alone? No

"Phyloe" wrote in alt.astronomy:

The first ever proof of intelligent life, outside of here on
earth, will
be found in the SMC. I just hope I live long enough to be proven
correct. Somebody write this done and attribute it to me.

Let's find intelligent life on Earth first. So far no result here.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 19th 03, 10:26 PM
Douglas A. Shrader

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
"Phyloe" wrote in alt.astronomy:

The first ever proof of intelligent life, outside of here on
earth, will
be found in the SMC. I just hope I live long enough to be proven
correct. Somebody write this done and attribute it to me.

Let's find intelligent life on Earth first. So far no result here.

Whoa now, I think my dog is very intelligent. He can get me to do almost
anything he wants. ;-)

Old August 21st 03, 01:38 AM
Dennis Taylor

"Douglas A. Shrader" wrote in message

Whoa now, I think my dog is very intelligent. He can get me to do almost
anything he wants. ;-)

*ahem* Cats are much more intelligent than dogs. You can't get 9 cats to
pull a sled through the snow.

Old August 21st 03, 02:33 PM
Greg Neill

"Dennis Taylor" wrote in message
. ca...
"Douglas A. Shrader" wrote in message

Whoa now, I think my dog is very intelligent. He can get me to do almost
anything he wants. ;-)

*ahem* Cats are much more intelligent than dogs. You can't get 9 cats to
pull a sled through the snow.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Old August 28th 03, 01:25 AM
Bill Duncan

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Funny the star that means more,and did more for people of Earth (the
north star) had life for 34 million years. Now its life is wiped
out(carput) On this third planet out from the North Star was left a
very smart complex computer. It is working as I type and waiting to be
discovered. It is ready to tell us what happened to have its planets
intelligent life destroyed. We can save the long distance trip,for we
know how it was destroyed. Is not the answer Earth intelligentsia life
biggest fear. Is it not happening as I type,and every day on Earth
Man(intelligent life) kills each other Bert

What?

Old August 28th 03, 06:42 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Bill What? was your post. In my post I was Showing intelligent life,all
ends up the same. It dies by its own hand. Bert

Old August 29th 03, 05:16 PM
Ron Sparks

...In my post I was Showing intelligent life,all
ends up the same. It dies by its own hand. Bert

Since the only intelligent life you have experience with is Mankind, that's
a completely unsupportable generalization. As we all know - any
generalization is false.

--

Ron Sparks
My Website: http://www.iSciFiStory.com

==========
http://www.iSciFiStory.com
"Where Universes Are Toys In Your Hands"
Featured in Science Magazine - May 2001
==========

Old August 29th 03, 05:37 PM
steve@nospam-[roteus.demon.co.uk

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:16:15 GMT, "Ron Sparks"
wrote:

...In my post I was Showing intelligent life,all
ends up the same. It dies by its own hand. Bert

Since the only intelligent life you have experience with is Mankind, that's
a completely unsupportable generalization. As we all know - any
generalization is false.

Actually its deeper than that, we in our total arrogance make the
premise that all Life out there must be like us, therefore our rules
apply.
One day, and I hope its in my lifetime, mankind is going to get a real
kick in the butt, when we found that we are not alone

--
---
The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Old August 29th 03, 09:03 PM
Zdenek Jizba

Intelligent life could have evolved as far back as 2 billion years
ago (or even earlier). Civilizations that developed the ability
to travel in space probably (ECHO) developed wherever there
was intelligent life. Most of these civilizations have probably been
limited in their space travel to velocities well under the speed of light.
With this limitation in mind it is unlikely that space faring
civilizations could explore beyond some 3-5 light years. Such
explorations would strain the resources on arrival to neighboring
stars to the extent that landing on earth-like planets would not
be practical (because of the inability to return to space). Much as
Columbus setting up a temporary community on discovering
America, and as today our setting up a base in Antarctica these
alien explorers must have left traces of their presence on low
gravity asteroids or moons. With these thoughts in mind here
is my take on the possibility of finding evidence of alien presence
in our solar system.

Consider that stars do not travel around our milky way with the
same orbits. It has been estimated (I do not know with what authority)
that every 100,000 years or so on average, a star will come to within
3-5 light years of our solar system. That would translate to some
10,000-20,000 such encounters in the last 1-2 billion years. Given the
current speculation that some 20% of all star systems have an (earth
like) planet capable to support life, there could have been as many
as 2,000-4,000 such stars in our past. If the probability that at the
time of such near encounter the alien planet has a space faring
civilization of say 0.01-0.1% then there is a likelihood that on
exploring our solar system we might find from 1-5 traces of
alien visits. There is some evidence of that, but for reasons
that are not clear, NASA appears to be adamant in not releasing
such information.

Phyloe wrote:

The first ever proof of intelligent life, outside of here on earth, will
be found in the SMC. I just hope I live long enough to be proven correct.
Somebody write this done and attribute it to me.
Phyloe

--
If the countryside seems boring, stop, get off your bike, and go sit in
the ditch long enough to appreciate what was here before the asphalt

Old August 30th 03, 02:18 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Ron There is sameness the way matter and forces create structures. 90%
of stars in the Milky Way are like our sun. The fact that nature uses
the hydrogen atom and the carbon atom for the structure of organic
matter is not surprising,and it is reasonable to think that is true in
every part of the universe. Our earth has millions and millions of
different life forms. They all are carbon hydrates. Man is the only
life form that looks beyond the earth"s atmosphere. Alien intelligent
life can be green. They could have three eyes. Two pair of arms,and
six fingers on each hand. No hair. They could never have wheels for
feet,for nature never used the wheel.(possibly the tumble weed) Micro
life has its exceptions,but it could never develop a brain with enough
structure. All forms of intelligent life would have good eyes. A strong
body. A brain on the highest part of its body. Intelligent life that is
millions of years older than us could all look exactly the same (100%
identical) They might have found cloning more beneficial than chancing
the out come of DNA. Bert