Eropean Perception of Mars Missions.

Old January 21st 04, 01:27 AM
Frank Forskin

Default Eropean Perception of Mars Missions.

European Perception of Mars Missions.

I'm a teacher at the local community college and recently had a
European student who reflected many views I've heard from European
about Americans. Primarily that we're fat, stupid and arrogant. Then
I noticed this:

Notice the difference in these 2 headlines:

When the EU takes a picture and its stunning.
When we actually land a machine on the planet and drive it around - We
stop to investigate a rock.

Who's arrogant?

Old January 21st 04, 05:07 AM
Scott Lowther

Frank Forskin wrote:

"Spirit stops to investigate rock
Nasa's Mars rover Spirit went for a
drive on the Martian soil on Sunday
and stopped to investigate a large rock."

"Europe's stunning Red Planet view
The first image of the Red Planet
taken by Europe's Mars Express probe
since it arrived in orbit has been
released. "
"Dr John Murray, of the Open
University, UK, who is on the camera
team, told BBC News Online: "This is
the first 3D camera sent to Mars.

"It is 10 times better than anything
sent before. We have high hopes for it and how it will
advance our
understanding of Mars."

Umm... first 3-D camera to Mars? Didn't Pathfinder have stero cameras?

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam

Old January 21st 04, 05:17 AM
Jon Berndt

"Scott Lowther" wrote:

"Dr John Murray, of the Open
University, UK, who is on the camera
team, told BBC News Online: "This is
the first 3D camera sent to Mars.
"It is 10 times better than anything
sent before. We have high hopes
for it and how it will advance our
understanding of Mars."

Umm... first 3-D camera to Mars? Didn't Pathfinder have stero cameras?

I thought so. Didn't the Viking Orbiters produce stereo images? Weren't the
Viking landers equipped with stereo imagers? The above statements are just
bizarre. First, if I am not mistaken, all that is required for stereo
imagery are two pictures taken from slightly different viewpoints (just as
the human eyes are separated by a couple of inches). You can do that with a
single lens, no?

Also, I think the Mars Express camera can get two meter resolution at best.
That's about the _same_ as MGS and Odyssey, no?

Jon

Old January 21st 04, 02:22 PM
john doe

"Jon Berndt" wrote in message
"Scott Lowther" wrote:

[...]

Whose is bigger? It always comes down to this important question , doesn't
it?

For the press, some people will say strange things, especially when funding
depends
on media relations. For (another) example, the DeepSpace1 is advertised as
*the first ion engine in space*, while it is not so. USSR tested one on
their 1964 Zond 2 and 3 (http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/tmp/1964-078C.html
and http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/database/...g?sc=1965-056A).

The cameras on Mars Express(MEX) and Mars Global Surveyor(MGS) are quite
different instruments, designed for different purposes.

MEX
I think the greatest resolution (assuming 250 km height - the lowest point
of MEX orbit)
is 2.3 m/pixel.
Actually there are 2 cameras, and the stereo one has 'only' 10m/pixel
resolution at 250 km.
The 'stereo' camera (HRSC) uses a single lens, and 9 'modes' of simultaneous
image acquisition -
RGB + stereo(LRN) + infrared + 2 photometric channels.

see
http://berlinadmin.dlr.de/Missions/e...ameraeng.shtml

The best resolution of MGS camera (MOC) is 1.4 m/pixel at 380 km height, for
the black and white camera, and 280m/pixel - 2km/pixel for the red/blue
cameras.

see
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/database/...1996-062A&ex=1

So, the max resolution of MOC is better at 1.4 m/pixel (at 380 km) vs. 2.3
m/pixel (at 250 km) for HRSC.
On the other hand, the CCD element in HRSC has 9 line elements of 5184 pix +
one 1024 X 1032 element, while the MOC has 2 line 2048 pix + 4 elements of
3456 pix 'only'. Thus, one could say the imaging capabilities of HRSC are
'greater'.

Meanwhile, the scientists on MER and MEX teams are working together to get
the most out of
all instruments - see
(http://www.esa.int/export/SPECIALS/M...XX374OD_0.html)

The media in Europe are diverse and of different bias from country to
country.
I can only say that *I* personally think all missions to Mars currently
going on are
fantastic achievements for all of the humankind.

And to say 'Americans are fat' or 'Europeans are arrogant' is the same as ,
based on two rocks examined , 'There was no life on Mars, ever'.

Regards
MP - an European

Old January 21st 04, 11:01 PM
Joe Knapp

"Scott Lowther" wrote

"Spirit stops to investigate rock
Nasa's Mars rover Spirit went for a
drive on the Martian soil on Sunday
and stopped to investigate a large rock."

"Europe's stunning Red Planet view

It's stunning--but evidently heavily-doctored to look like a painting?

Joe

Old January 22nd 04, 06:48 PM
MarkMcDonald

"Scott Lowther" wrote in message
Frank Forskin wrote:

"Spirit stops to investigate rock
Nasa's Mars rover Spirit went for a
drive on the Martian soil on Sunday
and stopped to investigate a large rock."

"Europe's stunning Red Planet view
The first image of the Red Planet
taken by Europe's Mars Express probe
since it arrived in orbit has been
released. "
"Dr John Murray, of the Open
University, UK, who is on the camera
team, told BBC News Online: "This is
the first 3D camera sent to Mars.

"It is 10 times better than anything
sent before. We have high hopes for it and how it will
advance our
understanding of Mars."

Umm... first 3-D camera to Mars? Didn't Pathfinder have stero cameras?
Scott Lowther, Engineer

Yes, but it was a foreign effort. Mars Express is our own European project.

M.M.

Old January 21st 04, 04:04 PM
J.S.

Well, as an European myself, my perception of the U.S. Mars exploration
effort, a perception shared by most fellow Europeans, I'm sure, is one of
admiration. Due to the U.S. effort, and since the Mariner IV flyby, almost
30 years ago, our knowledge of Mars has progressed a great deal. And most
people, in Europe and elsewhere, feel thankful for all that...

Rgds

Javier

Old January 22nd 04, 08:12 AM
C. Heise

"Frank Forskin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
European Perception of Mars Missions.

I'm a teacher at the local community college and recently had a
European student who reflected many views I've heard from European
about Americans. Primarily that we're fat, stupid and arrogant.

1. while i was in the USA i had the feeling that i saw more people wighting
roundabout 150 Kg (300 pound) than i see in Germany (well most other people
say we have the fattest people in europe). And it is statisicly profed, that
there are more fat people in the USA than in any other country.

2. stupid: i think this view comes form the silly questions like "Do you
have to wear brown shirts in germany?" or "Do you have waterclosets in
Germany?"
Hell, you americans (and the other allies) ended the Nazi regime (thank you
for that) and you enjoy driving german cars like the Beatle,Rabit,Jetta (all
from VW),BWM and Mercedes.
And i heared about a statisic that 70% of all US americans thought that the
Irak could attack the USA with scud missiles (well if you think israel is
part of the USA, these 70% are right)

3. arrogant: Well, who is attacking other countries to bring them their way
of live?
but arrogance is not a pivilege only the USA have, there are many cases that
every nation is arrogant against others

When the EU takes a picture and its stunning.

well nobody said that your first pictures weren't stunning, but these
pictures are stunning, aren't they?

Carsten Heise ,german student

Old January 22nd 04, 03:34 PM
Scott Lowther

C. Heise wrote:

3. arrogant: Well, who is attacking other countries to bring them their way
of live?

The Islamists. The US is not attacking anyone to make them like us.

Old January 22nd 04, 12:19 PM
Dale

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:27:45 -0800 (PST), Frank Forskin
wrote:

European Perception of Mars Missions.

I'm a teacher at the local community college and recently had a
European student who reflected many views I've heard from European
about Americans. Primarily that we're fat, stupid and arrogant. Then
I noticed this:

Notice the difference in these 2 headlines:

When the EU takes a picture and its stunning.
When we actually land a machine on the planet and drive it around - We
stop to investigate a rock.

Who's arrogant?

Geez, chill...

"Rover's stunning image of lander"