Curses!

Old January 27th 06, 05:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Curses!

A new moon weekend and a massive storm is blowing in off the Pacific.
(

At 6:00 AM the sky was clear and I had a nice view of Jupiter out my
bedroom window. At 7:00, when I opened the front door to leave for
work it was already sprinkling and the sky was overcast. A look at the
weather satellite paints a grim picture.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsw3.html

Old January 28th 06, 01:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

A new moon weekend and a massive storm is blowing in off the Pacific.

Yeah, i noticed. I had been planning to spend the weekend out on
the Calif desert but looks like _best_ conditions will be windy
with high clouds. Sigh...

-Florian

Old January 28th 06, 03:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Florian wrote:
A new moon weekend and a massive storm is blowing in off the Pacific.

Yeah, i noticed. I had been planning to spend the weekend out on
the Calif desert but looks like _best_ conditions will be windy
with high clouds. Sigh...

Yup! I drove to Woodland Hills and got the filter to double-stack my PST.

Exciting trip: 405 was closed (totally, for 4 hrs or so) in both
directon (law enforcement deal) so that was a mess. Came back via
Topanga Canyon and west side surface streets were a mess with the
freeway closed. And I was (mildly) rear ended on the way home. Sun was
behind clouds by the time I could get home.

Hoping for a bit of sun tomorrow to see if that was $800 well spent.

Phil
Old January 28th 06, 04:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Ah! you used the old standby ways of over the hills, as an old yellow cab
driver I know of other ways. ;}
now out here we never see anything like that.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

Old January 28th 06, 05:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 03:55:55 GMT, Phil Wheeler wrote:

Hoping for a bit of sun tomorrow

I am hoping for a bit of clear night sky anytime between now and summer.
It has been cloudy and raining up here in metro Seattle pretty much every
day since mid December and there is no end in sight. It stops for maybe 8
or 12 hours every few days and then starts again. Sheesh. . .

--
Martin R. Howell
"The Astro Post"
Old January 28th 06, 05:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Martin R. Howell wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 03:55:55 GMT, Phil Wheeler wrote:

Hoping for a bit of sun tomorrow

I am hoping for a bit of clear night sky anytime between now and summer.
It has been cloudy and raining up here in metro Seattle pretty much every
day since mid December and there is no end in sight. It stops for maybe 8
or 12 hours every few days and then starts again. Sheesh. . .

I moved to California in late 1997, just in time for a few solid months
of sun, golf on the 31st of December and then El Nino hit. Feb '98 was
a solid month of rain and I had wondered if I had moved to an area of
extremes.

Oddly it was clear last night with only light clouding. It was mostly
clear @ 0500, but is overcast again with the sun peeking through.
Tonight is viewing night up at Bonny Doon so I'm hoping something good
will happen. I've got a new eyepiece I'm just'a-itchin' to try! 9-)
Old January 28th 06, 09:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Right now in the High Mojave Desert we have some high thin clouds passing by
and no real hard winds.

I've sat the carry bag out, opened it up to the sir, now we'll see if it
clears up of goes to hell on a skateboard.

Old January 28th 06, 09:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Starlord wrote:
Right now in the High Mojave Desert we have some high thin clouds passing by
and no real hard winds.

I've sat the carry bag out, opened it up to the sir, now we'll see if it
clears up of goes to hell on a skateboard.

Now that you've shown your intent to do some viewing, the skies will
undoubtedly retaliate
Old January 28th 06, 10:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Martin R. Howell wrote:

[...]

It's clearing out right now, after being cloudy for days. With any luck,
it'll still be clear when I plan to go out about 8 tonight, and see what I
can do with the Telrad, Orion, and Cancer.

Old January 29th 06, 01:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Martin R. Howell wrote:

[...]

And at 7:30 everything was clouded over.