The Usual Suspects

Old October 27th 03, 06:10 PM
Rand Simberg

Default The Usual Suspects

....is the title of my latest Fox column.

Old October 27th 03, 11:13 PM
Tom Merkle

h (Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
...is the title of my latest Fox column.

Let me get this straight...the usual suspects are people who have
experience in working with NASA, right?

Gee, it's almst like, when considering what to do with the current
space bureaucracy, Congress prefers to hear from people who have
experience with bureaucracy, and who have ideas with what to do with
it-- as opposed to those who believe NASA should be dismantled.
Congress, unlike some talking heads, understands that any attempt to
use government to accomplish an end is going to result in a fair
amount of bureaucracy, for better and worse.

Personally, I'm grateful for the paternalistic cold-war mindset that
gave us satellite TV, the internet, GPS, and yes, the understanding
that man is fully capable of exploring other planets and surviving.
None of those suborbital startups would exist if it wasn't for the
inspiration of NASA to begin with in the first place.

And yes, although people are happy to spend a lot more on pizza than
space, people are also happy to spend a lot more on pizza than roads,
port facilities, airports, police etc. People don't like to give away
money for ANYTHING that they can't see the direct results of--until
all the sudden it's in their face toppling the twin towers...which is
why, in a republic, we elect people to spend most of their time
figuring out how to spend the public money so that they don't have to
worry about it all the time. Thank god for politicians. I'm going
canoeing.

Tom Merkle

Old October 27th 03, 11:28 PM
Rand Simberg

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:13:38 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
...is the title of my latest Fox column.

Let me get this straight...the usual suspects are people who have
experience in working with NASA, right?

Yup.

Gee, it's almst like, when considering what to do with the current
space bureaucracy, Congress prefers to hear from people who have
experience with bureaucracy, and who have ideas with what to do with
it--

I didn't hear any ideas about what to do with the bureaucracy, and I
didn't hear any new ideas at all.

Old October 27th 03, 11:40 PM
Rand Simberg

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:28:11 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
h (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:13:38 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
...is the title of my latest Fox column.

Let me get this straight...the usual suspects are people who have
experience in working with NASA, right?

Yup.

Actually, I should expand. After all *I* have plenty of experience
working with NASA.

The usual suspects are the bureaucrats (or former bureaucrats)
themselves, and largely the same people who are asked to testify
repeatedly.

Old October 27th 03, 11:49 PM
johnhare

"Tom Merkle" wrote in message
om...

None of those suborbital startups would exist if it wasn't for the
inspiration of NASA to begin with in the first place.

The suborbital startups would probably have taken place decades ago
if not for the bad examples that NASA set. The People That Do
Things are not inspired by massive programs that they are excluded
from.

Old October 28th 03, 03:53 AM
Explorer8939

In other words, the space people that you like are smarter than the
space people that Congress likes. If only you were in charge of the
Space Program!

om...

Old October 28th 03, 09:35 AM
johnhare

"Explorer8939" wrote in message
om...
In other words, the space people that you like are smarter than the
space people that Congress likes. If only you were in charge of the
Space Program!

I am in charge of my own space program, no other.

"johnhare" wrote in message

m...
om...

Old October 28th 03, 02:48 PM
Mike Rhino

You try to sell sub-orbital the same way Nixon sold the space shuttle. You
seem to be saying, "If we cancel the existing program and replace it with a
new, more primitive program, we can reduce costs and improve the space
program."

Old October 29th 03, 03:34 AM
Explorer8939

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

Some people here think the system works, the problem is the people in
charge. Kind of like some people's opinion of the Soviet state, too.

Old October 29th 03, 09:13 PM
Tom Merkle

"Mike Rhino" wrote in message . ..
You try to sell sub-orbital the same way Nixon sold the space shuttle. You
seem to be saying, "If we cancel the existing program and replace it with a
new, more primitive program, we can reduce costs and improve the space
program."

laughter

Very apt comparison. If you don't mind I'm going to steal it for
future use. I'll give you credit, of course.

Tom Merkle