Legislative Emergency

Old October 7th 04, 07:24 PM
Rand Simberg

Default Legislative Emergency

The Senate is on the verge of killing the suborbital passenger
business:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...86.html#004386

Old October 7th 04, 07:38 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:24:12 -0500, in a place far, far away,
h (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my

The Senate is on the verge of killing the suborbital passenger
business:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...86.html#004386

Never mind.

For now. I've pulled the blog post until further clarification.

Old October 7th 04, 08:14 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:38:56 -0500, in a place far, far away,
h (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:24:12 -0500, in a place far, far away,
(Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my

The Senate is on the verge of killing the suborbital passenger
business:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...86.html#004386

Never mind.

For now. I've pulled the blog post until further clarification.

OK, I've reposted. As Jeff Greason notes, we may have very little
time to solve this problem--the Senate wants to expand the FAA's role
to overseeing passenger safety. If this doesn't kill the industry
outright, it's likely to chase it off shore.

Old October 8th 04, 11:36 AM
jjrobinson2

"jjrobinson2" wrote in message

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
The Senate is on the verge of killing the suborbital passenger
business:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...86.html#004386

"Those one-time boosters say the compromise version that emerged Thursday
from a House-Senate "preconference" would actually kill off private
spaceflight by holding the industry to an unmeetable safety standard for
passengers and crew members."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6201543/

Control freaks?

JJ Robinson II
Houston.TX

Of course, I'm not voicing the obvious ultra-cynical conclusion---I'm trying
to cut down.

JJ Robinson II
Houston.TX

Old October 8th 04, 12:09 PM
Sander Vesik

In sci.space.policy Rand Simberg wrote:
The Senate is on the verge of killing the suborbital passenger
business:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...86.html#004386

As long as US companies doing such from elsewhere are not
affected, who cares?

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++

Old October 8th 04, 01:02 PM
Rand Simberg

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 06:09:58 -0500, in a place far, far away, Sander
Vesik made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

In sci.space.policy Rand Simberg wrote:
The Senate is on the verge of killing the suborbital passenger
business:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...86.html#004386

As long as US companies doing such from elsewhere are not
affected, who cares?

The US companies that can't do such from elsewhere due to ITAR?

Old October 11th 04, 06:53 PM
Sander Vesik

In sci.space.policy Rand Simberg wrote:
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 06:09:58 -0500, in a place far, far away, Sander
Vesik made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

In sci.space.policy Rand Simberg wrote:
The Senate is on the verge of killing the suborbital passenger
business:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...86.html#004386

As long as US companies doing such from elsewhere are not
affected, who cares?

The US companies that can't do such from elsewhere due to ITAR?

No, they can - its just the "small issue of" dealing with export papers.
Its not something thats impossible.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++

Old October 21st 04, 06:18 PM
David Summers

Sander Vesik wrote in message ...
In sci.space.policy Rand Simberg wrote:
The Senate is on the verge of killing the suborbital passenger
business:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...86.html#004386

As long as US companies doing such from elsewhere are not
affected, who cares?

Because of legal linkages, it may not matter where the launch occurs.
If a company launches in Mexico but advertises in the US and an US
passenger gets hurt, anyone in the US related to that company will
face the FAA fines etc.