SS1 -- one down, one to go!

Old September 29th 04, 10:18 PM
dave schneider

Default SS1 -- one down, one to go!

Numerous news sites (Yahoo, BBC, Google, Reauters) reporting a
successful flight despite control problems, which might be some PIO
(cue Mary).

Engine was cutoff early, so the extra capacity wasn't tested. Not
sure whether a bigger kick at ignition was part of flight.

/dps

Old October 1st 04, 05:49 PM
Jim Kingdon

Numerous news sites (Yahoo, BBC, Google, Reauters) reporting a
successful flight despite control problems, which might be some PIO
(cue Mary).

At http://spaceflightnow.com/ss1/status.html Melvill (the pilot) talks
about PIO (Pilot-Induced Oscillation) in relation to the June flight.
He says that they didn't have that in September's flight, but that the
roll was a different thing (sounds like a steady roll rather than a
back-and-forth thing).

We seem to have 2 for 2 indication that Spaceship One tends to roll.
Obviously, they don't think they need to change this before going for
the X Prize. After that, I suppose they'll probably think about
whether to tweak some part of the design (or, I suppose, figure it is
case of pilots learning to fly this thing. After all, it was possible
to recover from the roll in each case).

Old October 3rd 04, 06:22 PM
Pat Flannery

Jim Kingdon wrote:

We seem to have 2 for 2 indication that Spaceship One tends to roll.
Obviously, they don't think they need to change this before going for
the X Prize. After that, I suppose they'll probably think about
whether to tweak some part of the design (or, I suppose, figure it is
case of pilots learning to fly this thing. After all, it was possible
to recover from the roll in each case).

They say that it's due to excessive dihedral on the wing:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6145537/?GT1=5402
By the way, what are the three "what's-its" one either side of the
spaceship in this photo?:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...ed.vmedium.jpg
I thought they might be an camera artifact, but they seem to have
contrails behind them; shockwaves? Control thruster exhaust?

Pat

Old October 3rd 04, 06:56 PM
Jim Kingdon

They say that it's due to excessive dihedral on the wing:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6145537/?GT1=5402

Thanks. Very informative and not something I've seen reported
elsewhere (this is under "Potential causes", about 2/3 of the way down
the page).

By the way, what are the three "what's-its" one either side of the
spaceship in this photo?:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...ed.vmedium.jpg

I suppose it is one of those water vapor effects, sort of like this
one: http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/soundbarrier.htm

but I don't really remember much about such things...

Old October 5th 04, 01:47 AM
Scott Lowther

Pat Flannery wrote:

By the way, what are the three "what's-its" one either side of the
spaceship in this photo?:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...ed.vmedium.jpg

That's the wing flapping. Burt liked "Sky Captain" so much he had SS1
modified a little.