Question about light in space?

Old September 28th 04, 01:18 AM
Micky

Default Question about light in space?

I was reading somewhere that they made the first light antenna. I suppose
that would make it 100's of times quicker than radio signals.?
I know we have 100's of antenna's looking for readio signals from other
planets but do we have any looking for this type of signal already.
What if Aliens only ever used this type of signal or a simular type for
communication, has it
ever been tested for.?
If I were an intelligent being surely it would make sense using a technology
that is the speed of light rather than radio.

What are your views on the potential of this technology out of interest.?
How usefull is this compared with radio.?
Mick

PS Ive tried posting this question to sci.space.science but it just doent
show up. Why on earth would that be.?
I havent got a non-deliverable msg back.

Old September 28th 04, 01:09 PM
Bent C Dalager

Micky wrote:
I was reading somewhere that they made the first light antenna. I suppose
that would make it 100's of times quicker than radio signals.?

No. Radio signals propagate at the speed of light.

Cheers
Bent D
powered by emacs

Old September 28th 04, 01:45 PM
Jeff Findley

"Micky" wrote in message
I was reading somewhere that they made the first light antenna. I suppose
that would make it 100's of times quicker than radio signals.?

Radio waves and light waves both travel at the speed of light.

I know we have 100's of antenna's looking for readio signals from other
planets but do we have any looking for this type of signal already.
What if Aliens only ever used this type of signal or a simular type for
communication, has it
ever been tested for.?

You must be talking about something different than a telescope, but exactly
what, I don't know.

If I were an intelligent being surely it would make sense using a

technology
that is the speed of light rather than radio.

You're seriously confused here.

Jeff

Old October 11th 04, 10:02 PM
Markle

"Jeff Findley" spewed forth in
:

"Micky" wrote in message
I was reading somewhere that they made the first light antenna. I
suppose that would make it 100's of times quicker than radio
signals.?

Radio waves and light waves both travel at the speed of light.

Yes, radio waves, microwaves, light waves and X-rays and gamma rays are
all propagated or carried by photons. Because photons have no mass they
travel at the "speed of light." If you tranmitted two signals at the
same time, one with radio waves and another with light the first part of
the signal would get there at almost exactly the same time. Almost,
because higher frequency waves travel slower in denser space than lower
frequency waves than in a pure vacuum(this is called dispersion and it's
how prisms do what they do), but you'd be hard pressed to tell the
difference out in deep space. Although the radio would win....barely.
I know we have 100's of antenna's looking for readio signals from
other planets but do we have any looking for this type of signal
already. What if Aliens only ever used this type of signal or a
simular type for communication, has it
ever been tested for.?

You must be talking about something different than a telescope, but
exactly what, I don't know.

I think what Micky is referring to is the plan to start using lasers to
transmit information to and from space probes.
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/dsn-02e.html
If I were an intelligent being surely it would make sense using a

technology
that is the speed of light rather than radio.

You're seriously confused here.

Jeff

Yes he(?)is. I think that's why he was asking.

Light wouldn't really be such a good choice for contacting other star
systems because at those higher frequencies matter is very good at
absorbing and scattering the photons. Space is pretty empty, but there's
a lot of it between stars.

All in all those were some very good perceptive questions.

Old October 29th 04, 04:02 PM
Mick

You know I couldnt remember what id read for me to ask that question. But
crazyly those were the exact two article that gave me the idea for the
question..
Thankyou for your answer it explains alot.

. 227.77...