Seeing Through a Pin Hole???

Old August 14th 03, 10:55 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Seeing Through a Pin Hole???

Star light is just a pin hole. Would it be an advantage to just make a
pin hole for the viewing star's light to shine through before doing
anything else? Bert

Old August 15th 03, 03:56 AM
Douglas A. Shrader

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Star light is just a pin hole. Would it be an advantage to just make a
pin hole for the viewing star's light to shine through before doing
anything else? Bert

No. You may perceive it as a pinhole, but so does someone standing 100 miles
away from you,
and every between the two of you, and so on. That is because the light from
that "pinhole" star is falling on every part of earth facing it, and
streaming through space past us. That is why a larger aperture is better, it
gathers up more of the stars light than a small aperture, giving a brighter,
clearer image.

Old August 15th 03, 08:37 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
BV Very good thinking. Make the hole bigger and more photons will
enter. Seems to fit,BUT Bert

Of course there are downsides...A big gaping hole in the front of your scope
also let's photons from the street lights in, not to mention the kooks with
the green lasers *sic*. Imagine though...you point your scope, and those
photon's came so many light years just to bounce off your eye. Incredible,
isn't it?

BV.

Old August 17th 03, 02:08 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

The first camera was a pin hole in a box,and took very clear pictures.
Bert

Old August 17th 03, 08:04 PM
Bill Duncan

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

The first camera was a pin hole in a box,and took very clear pictures.
Bert

The first camera was the camera obscura in 1544.

http://brightbytes.com/cosite/what.html
Old August 17th 03, 09:02 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Bill Thanks I did not know that the pin hole effect for light went all
the way back to Aristotle. The site had reflection in it. I have my
own theory about reflection(I think I posted it here?) Might just
as well throw this in. When we present the front page of the "Globe" to
a mirror it reads backwards,but it is "we" that turned the paper around.
Bert

Old August 18th 03, 11:35 AM
Sally

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
as well throw this in. When we present the front page of the "Globe" to
a mirror it reads backwards,but it is "we" that turned the paper around.

Bert,
You know how to get them going, don't you! g

This should be an interesting thread, pity I don't have much time to
contribute but I'll be lurking. In fact, the reflection is not backwards at
all. It is all a matter of interpretation.

Sally

Old August 18th 03, 02:26 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Sally If you mean getting them going is getting them thinking,that
is good. Glad when you post. Glad you are reading my posts. I hope to
bring a little more humor in my posts,for I find a lot of people here
are uptight. We are lucky electrons reflect
light,for nature would not give us eyes just to see the stars.
Bert