Has the Sun's color changed?

Old August 8th 03, 12:54 AM
Babak Sehari

Default Has the Sun's color changed?

Hi

I recently noticed that the sun is whiter than I used to remember it
when I was a child. The sun I remember was yellow. A few weeks ago I was
driving with sun in my eyes and the Sun looked very very white. Change in
color could indicate many things, among those are change in the temperature
of the sun, change in atmospheric condition on earth etc.. I wonder do any
body have any data that measures sun's average radiation at any particular
frequency or wave length? Does these levels vary with 11 year sun's cycle?
This gave me the idea that the sun might have longer cycles than 11 years.
These cycles could take say 100s or 1000s of years, and these cycles may
have caused the climatological change on earth.

Reagrds,
Babak

Old August 8th 03, 07:55 AM
vidar ostmo

There are a chance this web page might explain the phenomena you are
describing. Everyone expeience this. chance are that you are very
observant.
http://www.psych.ucalgary.ca/PACE/VA...ite/monet.html

Kind rgds
vidar

"Babak Sehari" skrev i melding

Old August 8th 03, 02:48 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Vidar In a book by Asminov he keeps reminding us when we are saying
the color blue we should be saying "violet" He claims we used blue for
so long its to late to change. Much like man has tied weight and mass
together. Bert

Old August 8th 03, 03:14 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Vidar In a book by Asminov he keeps reminding us when we are saying
the color blue we should be saying "violet" He claims we used blue for
so long its to late to change. Much like man has tied weight and mass
together. Bert

Violet and Blue are very different colors Bert, what do you mean? This is
like comparing orange and red.

BV.

Old August 8th 03, 07:08 PM
David Knisely

No, the sun has not changed color significantly. It will become somewhat
redder in the distant future, but not over the period of a lifetime. To me,
it looks about the same as it did as a child, although the yellowing of the
eye's lens over time may cause a change in the perception of the color. Clear
skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old August 9th 03, 05:00 AM
Bob Weber

I had cataract surgery several years ago. With the new plastic lens,
suddenly white is white!

Bob

Old August 14th 03, 10:12 AM
Painius

"BenignVanilla" wrote...
in message ...

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message

Vidar In a book by Asminov he keeps reminding us when we are saying
the color blue we should be saying "violet" He claims we used blue for
so long its to late to change. Much like man has tied weight and mass
together. Bert

Violet and Blue are very different colors Bert, what do you mean? This is
like comparing orange and red.

BV.

'Lo BV --

Just one of the many Asimov quirks that made his writing more
interesting than most. For example, he felt that the antielectron
should never have been given the name "positron." It should
simply be called an "antielectron," Period! But now, the name
"positron" is far too engrained to be changed.

I've read of several of these that Asimov considered to be
"unfortunate" yet unchangable. And this includes the "blue
shift" used to describe celestial objects that are moving in our
general direction. When we analyze the visible light spectrum,
the last color we come to as wavelengths are decreased is the
color "violet." So Asimov wrote that scientists should have
used "violet shift" to describe celestial objects moving toward
us.

Personally, i think we should go with "IR shift" instead of "red
shift," and "UV shift" instead of either "blue" or "violet shift."
"IR" is of course for "infrared," and "UV" is for "ultraviolet."

So what do you think? Do you think the world of science is
ready for this?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
So watch as we go 'round in circles,
Ending back where we began,

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 14th 03, 01:11 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Ho Painius What reason is given for the photons waves getting shorter
coming towards us,and longer going away from us. I have an idea why this
is reality for light. Bert

Old August 16th 03, 09:51 AM
Painius

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message...

Ho Painius What reason is given for the photons waves getting shorter
coming towards us,and longer going away from us. I have an idea why this
is reality for light. Bert

Similar to the Doppler effect for sound, Bert... as railroad train
approaches you blowing its whistle, the sound waves coming in
your direction are "bunched up" together. This makes the train
whistle sound higher pitched than it really is.

Then, as the train passes you, the pitch lowers. This is because
as the train heads away from you, the whistle's sound waves are
"stretched apart." This gives the effect that the whistle frequency
lowers.

Now apply this like Fizeau did... shift toward blue end of visible
spectrum means "higher frequency" and "shorter wavelength."
Therefore object must be moving toward you. Shift toward red
end of spectrum means "lower frequency" and "longer wavelength."
So object must be moving away from you.

What i have not figured out yet is how we can make the seemingly
huge assumption that light waves will behave in this manner similar
to sound waves. Any ideas?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
A Universe of Beauty
Our Hubble often shows,

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 16th 03, 01:20 PM
Benoit Morrissette

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:51:43 GMT, "Painius" wrote:

[...]

Because waves behaves like waves...

In the beginning, Isaac proved that light travels as waves. Problem is that
Albert Einstein proved that light travels as photons. They cannot both be
right, no? Yes, they are, thanks to "mind boggling" quantum dynamic theory...
Sometimes, light behave like waves and other times it behave like photons, just
make sure you don't mix the two together at the same time!

BTW, i am not sure but i think it is Doppler who got the idea for light waves
and Fizeau who got it for sound waves.

Benoît Morrissette