Are we alone?

Old July 29th 03, 06:56 PM
elrond

Default Are we alone?

Hi,

I am finding it difficult to deal with the apparent paradox that there are
millions of planets out there which can support life, but we haven't heard
anything from any of them. What gives?

Elrond

Old July 29th 03, 09:00 PM
CeeBee

"elrond" wrote

Hi,

I am finding it difficult to deal with the apparent paradox that there
are millions of planets out there which can support life, but we
haven't heard anything from any of them. What gives?

They have read sci.astro for a while and keep very...

....very...

....quiet.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old July 30th 03, 01:03 AM
.

"elrond" wrote in message
Hi,

I am finding it difficult to deal with the apparent paradox that there are
millions of planets out there which can support life, but we haven't heard
anything from any of them. What gives?

Distance and time. But it also could be that we are among the
first to evolve. Isn't our sun some 1/3 the age of the unverse?
And it took life here some 1/3 the age of our sun to emerge.
I think that life in the universe is just getting started.

Jonathan

Elrond

Old July 30th 03, 05:56 AM
Bob Doyle

Elrond,

We haven't heard from them, eh? Sez who? ;D

Who taught the Mayans about astronomy? How where they able to create a
calendar more accurate than today's Gregorian? How were the Great Pyramids
built? How does one account for their stunning astronomical alignment?

Where did that knowledge go? And where'd it come from? Maybe 'they' have
already come and gone, perhaps 2 or 3 times. And let's not even get into the
Sumerians and their carvings of visitors from outer space. It's almost as
much fun as stargazing.

For a person with a magical name, you're limiting your imagination on this
issue. There are plenty of odd things here on the blue/green planet that
suggest that contact has been made, though not in the way that would satisfy
most of us, me included. But I do wonder, and not about the so-called
paradox.

Clear skies to you,

Bob Doyle

Old July 30th 03, 06:24 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , .
writes

"elrond" wrote in message
Hi,

I am finding it difficult to deal with the apparent paradox that there are
millions of planets out there which can support life, but we haven't heard
anything from any of them. What gives?

Distance and time. But it also could be that we are among the
first to evolve. Isn't our sun some 1/3 the age of the unverse?
And it took life here some 1/3 the age of our sun to emerge.
I think that life in the universe is just getting started.

It took multicellular life that long or longer to emerge, and just why
is still a mystery. Primitive life seems to have appeared as soon as the
surface cooled enough. But I think you could be right. I was fascinated
by the recent reports about more planets around younger suns.
_We_ are the First Ones you read about in the SF stories, and it's a
big responsibility.
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old August 2nd 03, 04:02 AM
,

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote in message
In message , .
writes

"elrond" wrote in message
Hi,

I am finding it difficult to deal with the apparent paradox that there are
millions of planets out there which can support life, but we haven't heard
anything from any of them. What gives?

Distance and time. But it also could be that we are among the
first to evolve. Isn't our sun some 1/3 the age of the unverse?
And it took life here some 1/3 the age of our sun to emerge.
I think that life in the universe is just getting started.

It took multicellular life that long or longer to emerge, and just why
is still a mystery. Primitive life seems to have appeared as soon as the
surface cooled enough. But I think you could be right. I was fascinated
by the recent reports about more planets around younger suns.
_We_ are the First Ones you read about in the SF stories, and it's a
big responsibility.

I picture life as emerging in waves or blooms in various regions of the
universe. And since we're always looking back in time it seems
finding others would always be a long-shot.

But the fact the life emerged very early in the life of our
sun would suggest it's the norm, not the exception.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:22 AM
,

"Bob Doyle" wrote in message
t...
Elrond,

We haven't heard from them, eh? Sez who? ;D

Who taught the Mayans about astronomy?

My guess is that humans have been rather intelligent
for a very long time.

How where they able to create a
calendar more accurate than today's Gregorian? How were the Great Pyramids
built? How does one account for their stunning astronomical alignment?

Where did that knowledge go? And where'd it come from? Maybe 'they' have
already come and gone, perhaps 2 or 3 times. And let's not even get into the
Sumerians and their carvings of visitors from outer space. It's almost as
much fun as stargazing.

For a person with a magical name, you're limiting your imagination on this
issue. There are plenty of odd things here on the blue/green planet that
suggest that contact has been made, though not in the way that would satisfy
most of us, me included. But I do wonder, and not about the so-called
paradox.

Isn't this a religious question in the sense of asking whether
the earth holds all it needs to create what we observe?
Or is some outside influence needed to help things along
whether by God or aliens. The contradiction is then
that if help is needed then life must be rather rare, and
'help' equally as rare.

If life is common in the universe then no help is needed.
There is a clear contradiction in believing aliens
contributed to our evolution.

I firmly believe life is common but that we've
never been, and never will be, visited. By
the time we're able to travel, we'll have
gained the knowledge we seek without
having to go there to discover it. So
will they I bet.

Clear skies to you,

Bob Doyle

Old August 2nd 03, 06:40 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

If we had as much space between our wives,and our closest space alien we
would be alone,and how sweet it could be. Bert

Old August 3rd 03, 08:14 PM
Painius

Default Paradise Cosmos (was - Are we alone?)

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message...

If we had as much space between our wives,and our closest space alien we
would be alone,and how sweet it could be. Bert

Gee, Bert... trouble in Paradise Cosmos?

"The grass is always greener when you get it from a new source!"

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Eclipse! Eclipse! Oh red and tawny
Moon's mysterious glows,

'Tis Mars who sometimes ventures close
and sparks a bloody war
to end all wars and bring us peace,
that we may kill no more.

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 4th 03, 12:12 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Ya Painius I had some great pictures developing,and she again opened
the dark room door.