NASA Eyes Spaceplanes For Crew Transport

Old February 8th 11, 10:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default NASA Eyes Spaceplanes For Crew Transport

"Private industry could be prepared to
go where NASA fears to tread and
develop a spaceplane to replace the
space shuttle and ferry crews to and
from the International Space Station.
But if industry succeeds, it will be
thanks to decades of work by the
space agency on lifting-body reentry
vehicles."

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...&channel=space
Old February 9th 11, 01:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

In article
tatelephone,
says...

I wish someone would point out that the HL-20 design was developed from
a wind tunnel model NASA made from photos an Austrailian P-3 Orion took
of the splashdown and recovery of the Soviet BOR-4 unmanned reentry
vehicle in the Indian Ocean:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/bor4.htm
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/hl20.htm
We were always yelping about the damn Russians copying our designs;
here's a case where just the reverse was the literal truth.

Now, now, Pat! We don't want to admit that the US sometimes steals the
best Russian ideas, do we? Can't we just let NASA quietly take all the
credit (by not setting the record straight), just like they do for
inventing Tang and velcro? ;-) ;-)

Jeff
--
" Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry
Spencer 1/28/2011
Old February 9th 11, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Jeff Findley wrote:
Now, now, Pat! We don't want to admit that the US sometimes steals the
best Russian ideas, do we? Can't we just let NASA quietly take all the
credit (by not setting the record straight), just like they do for
inventing Tang and velcro? ;-) ;-)

Jeff

And the microchip....

Dave
Old February 10th 11, 01:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 2/9/2011 2:10 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

There have been other such projects that looked more airplane-like. One
started from the F-5 Tiger airframe. That was even shorter lived than
Kistler.

I still like Canadian Arrow and their V-2 - that at least _looked_ like
a classic rocketship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Arrow
Passengers should dress in chrome silver spacesuits with bubble helmets.

pat
Old February 13th 11, 05:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Feb 9, 5:53*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the first viable commercial spaceplanes for accessing ISS will
have to come from China or India, because anything from William Mook
isn't going to fly, and there's nothing viable that we can afford from
NASA.

http://translate.google.com/#
Old February 13th 11, 06:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 2/13/2011 4:49 AM, Dan Birchall wrote:

Sure, but the BOR-4 had the advantage of coming after the M2-F1/2/3,
HL-10, X-24A/B, and the Space Shuttle... I wonder if the Russians had
any photos of those.

BOR-4 was a subscale offshoot of the Spiral Spaceplane design, which
dated back to 1965: http://www.buran.ru/htm/str126.htm
....around the time we were building our lifting bodies, although the
M2-F1 predated it.
What interested NASA about the BOR-4 design was that the vehicle
reentered inside of its own shockwave, which reduced reentry heating on
the main body.

Pat