Shoulder Mounted Telescope

Old January 21st 11, 05:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Norris

Default Shoulder Mounted Telescope

I'm sure this has been done before, but I really hadn't seen one
on-line. I offer my own little weekend project:

http://john-norris.net/2011/01/20/sh...-mounted-newt/

Too cloudy and need a change in optics before I can truly try it out.

Cheers!

John
Old January 21st 11, 07:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dan Birchall[_3_]

(John Norris) wrote:
I'm sure this has been done before, but I really hadn't seen one
on-line. I offer my own little weekend project:

http://john-norris.net/2011/01/20/sh...-mounted-newt/

Too cloudy and need a change in optics before I can truly try it out.

I await the inevitable story about somebody in your town calling
the cops about a man with a "bazooka" on his shoulder...

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall - Observation System Associate - Subaru Telescope.
naoj | Views I express are my own, obviously not those of my employer.
Old January 21st 11, 11:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jan 21, 12:18*am, John Norris wrote:
I'm sure this has been done before, but I really hadn't seen one
on-line. I offer my own little weekend project:

http://john-norris.net/2011/01/20/sh...-mounted-newt/

Too cloudy and need a change in optics before I can truly try it out.

Try replacing the shoulder mount with a long broom handle (or an
extendable uni-pod) which can then rest on the ground to steady the
telescope.

Old January 21st 11, 05:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

On Jan 20, 9:18 pm, John Norris wrote:
I'm sure this has been done before, but I really hadn't seen one
on-line. I offer my own little weekend project:

http://john-norris.net/2011/01/20/sh...-mounted-newt/

Too cloudy and need a change in optics before I can truly try it out.

Wouldn't work for me, I'm right eyed ;-).
Do ya have to be sober to use it?
Novel concept, hope ya post your experience with it, probably
something with a learning curve.

Cheers!
John

Cheers to you.
Ken
Old January 22nd 11, 04:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jwarner1

Dan Birchall wrote:

(John Norris) wrote:
I'm sure this has been done before, but I really hadn't seen one
on-line. I offer my own little weekend project:

http://john-norris.net/2011/01/20/sh...-mounted-newt/

Too cloudy and need a change in optics before I can truly try it out.

I await the inevitable story about somebody in your town calling
the cops about a man with a "bazooka" on his shoulder...

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall - Observation System Associate - Subaru Telescope.
naoj | Views I express are my own, obviously not those of my employer.
.org | I only wear black so much because I can't find anything darker.

this has actually happened - scopes confused with cannons...

Old January 22nd 11, 06:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Norris

Yup, I'm seriously thinking about this. I could go to the local PD
and ask them what they think, but I might not even make the walk out
of the parking lot!

Might just use it during local star parties, safety in numbers.

Old January 22nd 11, 06:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Norris

I had been thinking of that, or a chain to step on. Might use that in
the 2.0 version.

Old January 22nd 11, 07:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Jan 21, 3:46*am, wrote:

Try replacing the shoulder mount with a long broom handle (or an
extendable uni-pod) which can then rest on the ground to steady the
telescope.

Plagiarism? Surely not? :-)

When I were a lad, back in the last century, we were so poor we
couldn't afford no rifle attachments and certainly no unipods. Not
even broom handles. Back then RFTs were cradled in the bare arms of
the seated user. None of your comfy chairs back then either! We had to
sit on the top of a slag heap with just a scrap of sack cloth to keep
us from freezing to the spot as we peered through the smoke belching
from the dark, satanic mills! ;-)
Old January 22nd 11, 09:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Jan 21, 3:46*am, wrote:

Try replacing the shoulder mount with a long broom handle (or an
extendable uni-pod) which can then rest on the ground to steady the
telescope.

An even better idea I've seen is to use a swiffer...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/14889725...fer-style-dry-
cloths?ref=vt_related_1

.... the 'broom' end is essentially a platform mounted on a universal
joint. You can easily hold your binos on this platform and you can
then aim the things just about anywhere.

\Paul A
Old January 22nd 11, 10:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris.B:

When I were a lad, back in the last century, we were so poor we
couldn't afford no rifle attachments and certainly no unipods. Not
even broom handles. Back then RFTs were cradled in the bare arms of
the seated user. None of your comfy chairs back then either! We had to
sit on the top of a slag heap with just a scrap of sack cloth to keep
us from freezing to the spot as we peered through the smoke belching
from the dark, satanic mills! ;-)

So--you're from a SW Pennsylvania coal patch, too!

Sounds like you grew up in one of the better towns, though.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm