Charlie Duke's Family picture. Was it left on the moon or wasit brought back ?

Old March 12th 04, 02:15 PM
Igor Carron

Default Charlie Duke's Family picture. Was it left on the moon or wasit brought back ?

Here is another question a little less technical.

When Charlie Duke left to go to the Moon on Appollo 16, he took with
him a family picture and took a shot of it on the Descartes hills:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/i...117-18841.html

I found out about it when I bought the book of Michael Light's "full
moon".

The story does not say if that photo was taken back or if it was left
on the moon ?
How do I figure that out besides talking to Charlie ?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Igor Carron.

Old March 13th 04, 10:35 PM
Igor Carron

(Igor Carron) wrote in message om...
Here is another question a little less technical.

When Charlie Duke left to go to the Moon on Appollo 16, he took with
him a family picture and took a shot of it on the Descartes hills:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/i...117-18841.html

I found out about it when I bought the book of Michael Light's "full
moon".

The story does not say if that photo was taken back or if it was left
on the moon ?
How do I figure that out besides talking to Charlie ?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Igor Carron.

for future reference, it took me a while but I found an answer. He
left it there according to:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4223/ch11.htm

"...The other was: I took a picture of my family. Our kids were five
and seven. I had a little picture that had been taken in my backyard
by one of the NASA guys, Loudy Benjamin, and we had that
shrink-wrapped. On the back of this photograph we wrote: "This is the
family of Astronaut Duke from Planet Earth. Landed on the Moon, April
1972." And the kids signed it to get them involved with the flight. I
left that on the Moon and took a picture of the picture, and that's
one of our neatest possessions now..."

Igor.