20040308224949-20252: Need an exact description (blue prints ?) of the Lunar Laser reflectors left by Apollo.

Old March 9th 04, 07:49 AM
Rusty Barton

Default 20040308224949-20252: Need an exact description (blue prints ?) of the Lunar Laser reflectors left by Apollo.

Robomod had the following to say about this post:
- submission from unregistered poster
- the article is crossposted to another moderated newsgroup

Article key: cc4271d5aaef463130aa10a1a0a8fda0

----- original body/abstract -----

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:34:51 -0800 (PST), (Igor
Carron) wrote:

Folks:

I am looking for an exact description of the different US LRRR
experiments left on the moon. While I can find pictures and attendant
science papers on how they were used them afterwards ( I even talked
to a guy at McDonald Observatory), I am really interested in the
equivalent of a blueprint with exact dimensions of these reflectors.
While culling through NTIS, I came across some reports (like apollo
lunar surface experiment package CR 114901), ordered them but still
cannot find an exact mechanical description of them. The CDRs for the
LRRR for Apollo 14 looks like it is a bunch of minutes (try to find
that through NTIS) so I am a little lost as to where to start. Can
somebody provide me a hint / document number where I could find these
?

I know I am on a fishing trip and a long one at that.

Thanks in advance,

Igor Carron.

None of these links contain "blueprints" but do have
some info, drawings and pictures of the
Lunar Laser Ranging Retro-Reflector (LRRR).

The Apollo 11 Preliminary Science Report has info
in Chapter 7 (page 163) about the Laser Ranging
Retroreflector experiment. There is a cutaway diagram
of one of the reflectors.

The report can be downloaded in PDF format at this
URL. It's 24-mb in size.

-http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/as11psr.pdf

The Apollo 14 Preliminary Science Report has info
and drawings of the LRRR on page 215 of the 24-mb
PDF format report. It's available at this URL:

-http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/as14psr.pdf

he Apollo 15 Preliminary Science Report has info
and drawings of the LRRR on page 14-1 of the 53-mb
PDF format report. It's available at this URL:

-http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a15/as15psr.pdf

The Apollo 11 Presskit part 2, also available in PDF
format has a few line drawings of the LRRR on page 150 and
151.

It's available from this URL: 5.4-mb

-http://www-lib.ksc.nasa.gov/lib/archives/apollo/pk/APOLLO11pt2.PDF

This webpage lists weights and dimensions of the LRRR:

-http://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/HumanExplore/Exploration/EXLibrary/docs/ApolloCat/Part1/LRRR.htm

Info and line drawings are also at this URL:

-http://www.myspacemuseum.com/alseph1.htm

The EASEP Press Backgrounder also has some line drawings of
the LRRR on page 21. It's a 1.3-mb PDF document available at this URL:

-http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11EASEP.pdf

The Lunar site coordinates for the three LRRR's a

-http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/lunar_sites.txt

- Rusty Barton