No need for Haneef inquiry - PM

Old August 3rd 07, 07:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Default No need for Haneef inquiry - PM

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001028,00.html

---
"We don't need a judicial inquiry, that is a politically inspired call
by Mr Rudd," Mr Howard said on Sky News.

"I think the great litmus test of the new anti-terrorism laws was
yesterday's decision by the High Court of Australia, upholding the
control order legislation.

"I'm very pleased that the High Court has ruled in favour of the
constitutionality of those laws and I think that demonstrates that the
laws were soundly based."
---

The High Court has simply said that the laws are within the legislative
power of the Commonwealth. It hasn't said that they're good laws, and it
certainly hasn't said that they are being competently and sensibly applied.

If the quotations are accurate and in adequate context, then the PM is
guilty of gross intellectual dishonesty.

Sylvia.