Genesis samples - any good?

Old October 7th 04, 07:19 AM
Jim Kingdon

Default Genesis samples - any good?

OK, I got sick of reading pieces about the recover of the Genesis
samples which were devoid of any substance about what the obstacles to
getting good samples are, what if anything they have found so far
about sample quality, etc. Every news article I've read has been
heavy on vague statements like "we think we can recover much of the
science" but short on more information than that.

One article which is more detailed than most is:
http://www.planetary.org/news/2004/g...ence_0910.html

So here's an overview of how the samples work (written before the
accident, obviously):

http://www-curator.jsc.nasa.gov/cura...tamination.htm

The good news is the part about contaminants tending to stay at the
surface of the sample, with the solar wind being more deeply embedded
(0-100 nm).

Other parts of the protocol laid out there obviously didn't happen,
such as:

* Stow collectors and seal science canister prior to return.

Re-entry re-pressurization Use ultrapure filter to equalize pressure.

Any attempt to seal the science canister and re-pressurize with
filtered air obviously went by the wayside when the craft cracked open
on impact.