"canicule" or "cani" (dog star sirius)

Old August 21st 03, 03:10 PM
John Zinni

Default "canicule" or "cani" (dog star sirius)

"Daniel Kessler" wrote in message
Can anyone help me on this one?

I've been watching French TV. An excessive heat wave has caused over
5,000 deaths among the elderly in Paris and elsewhere to the point that
many gov't head are rolling for having ignored this developing crisis.
The heading for the news set up each evening is the French word
"Canicule."

Apparently, "Canicule" is the French equivalent to the English "dog days
of August".... but according my French dictionary, the very expensive an
volumnious "Petit Robert" -- which is far more exhaustive (and in
French) than any Cassell's dictionary translating French into
English...it says that "Canicule" begins on July 22nd and ends with
August 21 and mentions Sirius, the dog star.

My confusion is this: I don't recall Sirius having anything to do with
the signs of the zodiac, so where is the "dog star" during this July 22
- Aug 21 period? Is it in some important juxtaposition. The French
seem to have a more recognizable and defined name for this set period
...."Canicule?"

Hi Daniel

The term "dog days of summer" actually has its roots in ancient Egypt.
During the "dog days of summer" the bright Dog Star (Sirius) would rise a
little before the Sun. The ancient Egyptians thought that this time of the
year was so hot because bright Sirius would "add its heat" to that of the
Sun. The phrase has stuck, even after 3000 or so years.

Old August 21st 03, 10:18 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Daniel Kessler wrote in
:

[...]

Heliacal rising of Sirius?

L.

Well, we all know that "cani" in Latin means dog and I even recall that
Italian movie, "Mondo Cani" (or Dog's World) of some years ago.