Two Newest Planets

Old October 24th 10, 12:05 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

Default Two Newest Planets

I have been searching the Internet about the two newest planets
discovered, Sedna and Eris.

But the people writing about them seem too arrogant about them being
too small to be planets
to admit they are planets.

I can't even find a model or map of the Solar System with the orbits
of these two new planets
on them.

Since scientists started trying to re-classify certain planets into
being dwarf planets, seems we just
can't get anything straight about the Solar System anymore.

Thank goodness a few of the web sites still talk about the Nine
Planets, including Pluto!

So how many planets do we now have? 9? !0? 11?

Maybe no one knows.
Old October 24th 10, 05:30 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 23, 4:05*pm, Mark Earnest wrote:
I have been searching the Internet about the two newest planets
discovered, Sedna and Eris.

But the people writing about them seem too arrogant about them being
too small to be planets
to admit they are planets.

I can't even find a model or map of the Solar System with the orbits
of these two new planets
on them.

Since scientists started trying to re-classify certain planets into
being dwarf planets, seems we just
can't get anything straight about the Solar System anymore.

Thank goodness a few of the web sites still talk about the Nine
Planets, including Pluto!

So how many planets do we now have? *9? *!0? *11?

Maybe no one knows.

Including Ceres and Selene, at the vest least more than a dozen.

~ BG
Old October 24th 10, 08:03 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Dan Birchall[_3_]

(Mark Earnest) wrote:
I have been searching the Internet about the two newest planets
discovered, Sedna and Eris.

Actually, Sedna can't officially be labeled a planet yet, for the
reason given below. And Makemake was discovered after those two,
so I guess it's the newest dwarf planet in our

I can't even find a model or map of the Solar System with the orbits
of these two new planets on them.

I googled: map of solar system showing dwarf planets
First hit was
http://www.vtaide.com/png/solar-system.htm
To be fair, although it does show Eris and Ceres, it doesn't show
Sedna, Haumea or Makemake, and it's surely not to scale. But it
at least gives a feel for the order of things, heading out from
the sun.

So how many planets do we now have? 9? 10? 11?
Maybe no one knows.

8 planets, 5 dwarf planets[1], and dozens, maybe even hundreds of
objects - including Sedna - that we haven't yet been able to observe
well enough to determine whether they have a near-spherical shape[2].

The number of non-dwarf planets in our solar system seems likely to
remain at 8. The number of dwarf planets, though, seems certain to
increase, and likely to reach the point where no one can remember
them all, any more than anyone can remember the names of all the
comets, or all the asteroids.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...net_candidates

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall - Observation System Associate - Subaru Telescope.
naoj | Views I express are my own, certainly not those of my employer.
Old October 24th 10, 09:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dwarf_planet_candidates

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall - Observation System Associate - Subaru Telescope.
naoj | Views I express are my own, certainly not those of my employer.
.org | Why do phasers have fewer settings than Kitchenaid bowl mixers?

Thanks for the information about the current consensus.
But I grew up with big beautiful maps of the nine planets, including
Pluto.
It was so neat to think of Pluto as a rogue planet, possibly escaping
from Neptune and going
within Neptune's orbit.

Now we discover two more rogue planets, Sedna and Eris.
They ought to have the same status as Pluto once had.

They orbit the Sun on their own, just like planets do.

Leave the asteroids to the asteroid belt, they don't need to be
promoted to the status of planets of any type. They are just rubble,
and probably
run into one another every once in awhile, making even more rubble.

As soon as I get an orderly map of the Solar System, then I will feel
more
certain that knowledge of the Solar System is in order, where even
first graders
can learn about all the planets, like I did.

Everyone wants to rule reality, and astronomers want to rule the
reality of the planets.
They're not ruling my reality.
Old October 24th 10, 11:13 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 24, 1:32*pm, Mark Earnest wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:03*am, Dan Birchall
wrote:

(Mark Earnest) wrote:
[...]

Good for you, and don't let your guard down or turn your back on a
mainstreamer that's only out to kill off anyone thinking outside the
box.

~ BG
Old November 1st 10, 06:45 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

My dearest Mark,

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message...

I have been searching the Internet about the two newest planets
discovered, Sedna and Eris.

But the people writing about them seem too arrogant about them being
too small to be planets
to admit they are planets.

I can't even find a model or map of the Solar System with the orbits
of these two new planets
on them.

Since scientists started trying to re-classify certain planets into
being dwarf planets, seems we just
can't get anything straight about the Solar System anymore.

Thank goodness a few of the web sites still talk about the Nine
Planets, including Pluto!

So how many planets do we now have? 9? !0? 11?

Maybe no one knows.

There are still many things we don't know about those
faraway objects to be able to clarify how to classify them.

Pluto was considered a planet when we were kids mainly
because 1) it was thought to be all alone out there, 2) it
had originally been thought to be a gas giant, and 3) it
was the only planet that had been discovered by an
American. The movement to get Pluto reclassified away
from being a planet actually began shortly after it was
discovered by Clyde Tombaugh. It didn't take long for
astronomers to realize that Pluto was a whole lot smaller
than originally thought.

Getting Pluto reclassified was tougher than they thought
it would be, though, and it wasn't really until other TNOs
were discovered beginning in 1992 that the movement to
reclassify Pluto took on some momentum. Mark, it's just
a matter of wanting to be as precise as possible when it
comes to definitions, that's all. It's not easy to accept
change when it's needed. Man up !

Officially, there are eight planets in the Solar system. As
you might remember, i still consider there to be nine...

Mercury
Venus
Earth
Selene
Mars
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune

Selene (the Moon) is a full-fledged planet in its own right...

http://selene.painellsworth.net

Happy days *and*...
Starry, starry nights !

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

PS - "To live life at risk you've got to jump off cliffs all
the time and build your wings on the way down."
Ray Bradbury

PPS - http://astro.painellsworth.net !
http://www.secretsgolden.com !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth !

Old November 1st 10, 06:55 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 31, 11:45*pm, "Painius" wrote:
[...]

Several other moons of our solar system and some of that pesky Oort
cloud stuff is captured. Still no telling how old Venus is, or where
its moon went.

~ BG

MEET THE WORLD'S NEWEST BILLIONAIRE.. [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 October 5th 08 05:31 PM
MEET THE WORLD'S NEWEST BILLIONAIRE . [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 October 5th 08 05:26 PM
newest one/ [email protected] FITS 0 November 29th 07 02:01 PM
NASA unveils its newest supercomputer Jacques van Oene News 0 October 27th 04 02:41 PM
Any comments or reviews on the newest Apogee STs ? nymblz Amateur Astronomy 4 May 29th 04 09:40 AM