[Fwd: Dark Matter: black hole frame drag?]

Old March 7th 10, 08:29 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,alt.sci.astro,alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,alt.astronomy.solar
Double-A[_3_]

Default [Fwd: Dark Matter: black hole frame drag?]

On Mar 6, 11:46*am, josephus wrote:
Mike Williams wrote:
Wasn't it Double-A who wrote:

I don't know about the clustering, but the frame dragging influence
from a massive black hole might affect the galaxy such that the
galactic spin might appear to be faster than what gravity could
account for, if the rotation of the black hole were in the same
direction as the galactic rotation. *And isn't this exactly what is
being observed?

What is being observed is that the rate of decrease of rotation speed as
you move out from the centre of the galaxy is less than one would expect
if most of the mass is concentrated at the core.

If ALL the mass were concentrated at the core, then the periods of stars
in the galaxy would obey the same rules as planets orbiting the Sun,
where the square of the period is proportional to the cube of the
radius. The mass of a galaxy isn't all concentrated at the core, and
this changes things so that the orbits in the outer regions are faster
than that. By observing how fast the outer orbits are compared to the
inner orbits we can determine that most of the mass of the galaxy is in
the galactic halo, where there are few stars and few obvious places for
that mass to reside.

I don't know much about frame dragging, but I suspect that it would tend
to affect the core regions far more than objects at the edge of the
galaxy. This might possibly fit what's going on if the black hole is
more massive than we would otherwise think, and rotates in the opposite
direction from the rest of the galaxy. Thus the speed of stars in the
halo would be mainly driven by gravity effects, but the speed of stars
near the core would be reduced. However, it seems very unlikely to me
that so many observed galaxies would happen to have counterrotating
black holes, since infalling stars would tend to spin up the black hole
so that it rotated in the same direction as the galaxy.

there is a back of the envelope equation

* * 1080/p * where p = A(1-e^2)

* * * it is related to the frame draggin near massive objects.

* *josephus

--
I go sailing in the summer
* *and look at stars in the winter

Wow! A thread revived from 2004! Can't do that with Google!

Double-A

Old March 7th 10, 10:23 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,alt.sci.astro,alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,alt.astronomy.solar
Brad Guth[_3_]

Mike Williams wrote:
Wasn't it Double-A who wrote:

[...]

Due to gravity and subsequent photon distortions, there's almost no
telling what we're looking at. It's like our universe is nothing but
a cosmic fun-house that's full of those distortion mirrors, false
dimensions and only the photon ghost(s) of whatever used to be.

BH gravity is simply affecting the surrounding dark matter by
continually expanding and compressing it, as well as subsequently
speeding and slowing photons, whereas gravity itself remains
instantaneous because the amount of mass within the universe has
supposedly never changed from the very get go. There now, once and
for all everything is resolved.

Save your money on this one, because we could easily outspend
trillions in our hard earned loot, and decades from now be no closer
if not further away from the truth.

btw, where the hell are those 70+ million year old seans when we need
them? (I forgot, they're all lost in space)

~ BG