(both) EELVs and Ares-I could be completely unnecessary to launch the Orion!

Old May 3rd 07, 11:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
gaetanomarano

Location: Italy
Default (both) EELVs and Ares-I could be completely unnecessary to launch the Orion!

..

(both) EELVs and Ares-I could be completely unnecessary to launch the
Orion!

here the article: http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles...ttleorion.html

with the money saved, NASA can start develop and build NOW the Ares-V
to accomplish the first moon mission in 2015-2016 instead of 2020-2022
(or later!)

another amazing concept could be the Orioncopter:
http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles...ioncopter.html

..

Old May 4th 07, 03:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"gaetanomarano" wrote in message
ups.com...
.

(both) EELVs and Ares-I could be completely unnecessary to launch the
Orion!

here the article:
http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles...ttleorion.html

with the money saved, NASA can start develop and build NOW the Ares-V
to accomplish the first moon mission in 2015-2016 instead of 2020-2022
(or later!)

another amazing concept could be the Orioncopter:
http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles...ioncopter.html

.

Whacky ideas not grounded in political, economic, and engineering reality.

Continuing shuttle flights is a political non-starter. The shuttle will
stop flying in 2010 and will not be granted any sort of extension that would
allow flights many years beyond that.

The "redesigned" Orion is nothing but a pretty picture, loosely based on
Soyuz/Shenzhou.

The "Orion copter" is just goofy. Where do you stick the blades? Where do
they get power? If you don't trust it enough that you need "backup
parachutes", why not ditch the copter and instead invest the time, effort,
and weight on developing air bags, retro-rockets, or other such bits of
hardware to enable a safe parachute landing at Edwards or anywhere on "the
American planes"?

Note that Soyuz has used this sort of technique for decades. Surely we can
improve on the technique. Since Soyuz isn't the best we can do in the 21st
century.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old May 4th 07, 04:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

Jeff Findley wrote:
"gaetanomarano" wrote in message
ups.com...
.

(both) EELVs and Ares-I could be completely unnecessary to launch the
Orion!

here the article:
http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles...ttleorion.html

Whacky ideas not grounded in political, economic, and engineering reality.

At least he's testing out novel and interesting ideas, which is more
than I can say for you, or Scott Horowitz and his band of petty thugs.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old May 4th 07, 09:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
gaetanomarano

Location: Italy

On May 4, 4:22 pm, "Jeff Findley" wrote:

Jeff: ...shuttle will stop flying in 2010...

A: despite I publish my ideas about space on my website (and talk of
them on forums and blogs) land on the moon is NOT my problem nor my
job!

I hope to watch the new moon landings 3-D images on TV when it will
happen ...no matter if the country that will land soon on the moon
will be China in 2016 (as Griffin said to the Congress) or Russia in
2018 or NewSpace private companies in 2020 or ESA in 2022 or NASA in
2025 (when the ESAS hardware will be ready to fly...

Jeff: ...based on Soyuz/Shenzhou...

A: the 4.3 m (smaller) Orion needs a Soyuz-like design to allow more
internal space

Jeff: ...Where do you stick the blades? Where do they get power?...

A: the rotors are not so big to be a problem and they have no engines
but work with multiple autorotations

..

Old May 5th 07, 10:40 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Hyper

On May 4, 1:56 am, gaetanomarano wrote:
.

(both) EELVs and Ares-I could be completely unnecessary to launch the
Orion!

here the article:http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles...ttleorion.html

with the money saved, NASA can start develop and build NOW the Ares-V
to accomplish the first moon mission in 2015-2016 instead of 2020-2022
(or later!)

Boeing bid with something similar http://www.astronautix.com/craft/cevoeing.htm
albeit not launched on shuttles.
It's a waste of money to use Shuttles. A Delta IV Heavy might do the
job for less than half the $. I don't know how low the price would get
if NASA dangled a 10 D-IVH a year contract under Boeing's nose, but I
sure would like to see it :-)

another amazing concept could be the Orioncopter:http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles...ioncopter.html

Besides being of little utility the complexity would kill you and the
price would *go to the moon*.

Old May 5th 07, 12:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
gaetanomarano

Location: Italy

On 5 Mag, 11:40, Hyper wrote:
It's a waste of money to use Shuttles. A Delta IV Heavy might do the
job for less than half the $. I don't know how low the price would get
if NASA dangled a 10 D-IVH a year contract under Boeing's nose, but I
sure would like to see it :-)

-----------

(both) standard Oriona and my OrionSoyuz need a Launch Escape System
to fly with a rocket with a GLOW between 28.5 and 31 mT while the DIVH
can lift just 22.5 mT, then, both Orion's mass must be RESIZED over
30% to fly with it

..

Old May 5th 07, 04:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Hyper

On May 5, 2:49 pm, gaetanomarano wrote:
On 5 Mag, 11:40, Hyper wrote: It's a waste of money to use Shuttles. A Delta IV Heavy might do the
job for less than half the $. I don't know how low the price would get
if NASA dangled a 10 D-IVH a year contract under Boeing's nose, but I
sure would like to see it :-)

-----------

(both) standard Oriona and my OrionSoyuz need a Launch Escape System
to fly with a rocket with a GLOW between 28.5 and 31 mT while the DIVH
can lift just 22.5 mT, then, both Orion's mass must be RESIZED over
30% to fly with it

According to Boeing D-IVH can lift 25T to low inclination LEO. Your
number is probably for ISS's orbit.
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...V_PPG_2000.PDF
see Delta IV-H Circular Orbit Capability graphs
or http://www.geocities.com/launchreport/delta4.html

Al-Li tanks, RS-68 regen, streched core, improved/streched upper stage
and GEMs can increase payload to accomodate a heavy CEV.