Fantastic evenings viewing

Old October 30th 03, 12:45 AM
Dave

Default Fantastic evenings viewing

Well, i've been out for 2 hours or so. Still hunting for the 'andromeda'
galaxy, and I can't find the bugger! Or at least can't identify it if I have
found it!

Amazing Auroro over Belfast. Took up half the sky and seemed to reach a peak
about midnight. I hadn't seen anything earlier as it was cloudy.

To top it all off, I waited patiently for saturn to clear the trees for my
first ever view and there she was. Not jaw droppingly impressive in a TAL 1M
but nonetheless I could make out the rings, shadow of the planet against
them and a hint of colour. When I get the chance I'll be staying up much
later to get a better view!

Skies still very clear over Belfast and some good viewing. Even saw a couple
of meteorites zoom overhead.

Dave

Old October 30th 03, 12:41 PM
Chris.B

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Well, i've been out for 2 hours or so. Still hunting for the 'Andromeda'
galaxy, and I can't find the bugger! Or at least can't identify it if I have
found it!

Dave

I don't think you're looking high enough Dave. It's right overhead at
the moment. Real neck breaker. Misty patch at the top end of a short
line of stars. Which line itself rises from the 2nd obvious star of
the long line of brightish stars that form Andromeda's "daisy chain"
(which runs high across the Eastern sky at the moment, ending in the
square of Pegasus). Look for the big "W" of Cassiopeia high overhead
in the NE. Then follow (at the same height) to the right (towards the
south) & very high up. Then you can't miss it. Even naked-eye it grabs
the attention if you're not too light polluted. You'll wonder why it
was ever a problem when you do find it. It's very obvious in my dark
skies.

Try and download the (free) SkyMap Pro (demo). (Your browser will
find it easily). Once you bung in your postion and save the settings
you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

A great little book that takes up no space in the pocket is Philippe
Henarejos: "Guide to the Night Sky". I found it in a plastic cover for
£7 in a local book shop. Amazing value.

Chris.B
Old October 30th 03, 01:46 PM
Dave

Dave

I don't think you're looking high enough Dave. It's right overhead at

--snip---

Chris,

I have Starry Night pro and its pretty invaluable for finding things. My
position is not ideal however as my garden is fairly enclosed and its hard
to get aligned with objects lower in the sky. There is also a load of light
pollution from Belfast City which really doesn't help. You might be right
though, I'm probably not looking high enough. I was trying to place it by
following Aldebaran and the Pleiades but no joy. Then the Aurora took over
and I waited about for saturn. I'll have another go when its clear again.
Remember to bring my binoculars outside as well