Terrestrial viewing/photos. Try again

Old March 7th 04, 01:42 AM
Old Nick

Default Terrestrial viewing/photos. Try again

I asked about suitable EPs for afocal photo work with a digital
camera. It was a very lively thread :-

However. I have an Oly C750 non-SLR style digicam. I am resigned to
the fact that these cameras are limited for this, because of
vignetting.

BUT.

I have experimented with a pair of 9X25 Nikon binocs in front of the
digicam's lens. The binocs have an eyepiece diameter of about 13mm. At
full zoom on the Oly I get vignetting to the point where about 1/2 -
2/3 of the top and bottom of the shot are OK. The sides are worse,
naturally.

My problem is that with standalone eyepieces, with lens diameters of
maybe 25mm, or even larger, I seem to get the same vignetting. I set
the eyepiece up right against the camera lens, then use a 50-250 zoom
camera lens as the "scope". The vignetting seems to be from the
eyepiece, not the SLR lens.

Can anyone explain why the larger diameter eyepieces are causing just
about the same vignetting?

Thanks in advance for any help.
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?
Old March 7th 04, 02:49 AM
Old Nick

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 09:42:14 +0800, Old Nick
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sorry. I will add that the lens I am using is an f4(5.6 at zoom) -
f22, 50-250mm, with a Pentax K mount (45mm internal diam or so), and
with the Object lens being 52mm diam. Looking through the lens, using
the eyepieces that I tried, produced no vignetting at all, even with
the iris stopped right down. The vignetting seems to be caused
entirely by the eyepiece.

Old March 7th 04, 02:03 PM
Jon Isaacs

I asked about suitable EPs for afocal photo work with a digital
camera. It was a very lively thread :-

Since this is really somewhat off topic for this group, I sent you are rather
lengthy discussion of my experiences with digiscoping and some thoughts.....

Unfortunately my Email bounced....

jon