The big outside countdown clock for manned missions has been retired

Old December 2nd 14, 07:36 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain[_4_]

Default The big outside countdown clock for manned missions has been retired

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:41:08 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
On the news last nite they said parts were no longer available. I hope it isnt scrapped but is sent to a museum somewhere

Well it's probably time. The countdown clock didn't have enough digits for counting down from the potential decades between manned SLS missions.

Besides we don't have countdown clocks for commercial airline, train or bus departures. Looking forward to the day when the same can be said for space travel.

Dave

Old December 2nd 14, 07:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain[_4_]

To be retired to the KSC Visitor's Center according to PopMech:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how-...years-17463062

Dave
Old December 3rd 14, 03:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:41:08 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
On the news last nite they said parts were no longer available. I
hope it isnt scrapped but is sent to a museum somewhere

Well it's probably time. The countdown clock didn't have enough
digits for counting down from the potential decades between manned
SLS missions.

Plus the new "clock" can display fancy graphics. Perhaps it can
distract the press from the dismally low launch rate and extremely high
launch costs.

Besides we don't have countdown clocks for commercial airline,
train or bus departures. Looking forward to the day when the same
can be said for space travel.

There are most certainly displays showing departure times. These are
arguably less "exciting" than a countdown clock that is "accurate" to
the second, but they provide essentially the same information.

Jeff
Old December 3rd 14, 03:51 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

To be retired to the KSC Visitor's Center according to PopMech:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how-...years-17463062

You mean "Spaceport Disney". :-(

Jeff
Old December 3rd 14, 07:31 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

On Tuesday, David Spain quipped:

Besides we don't have countdown clocks for commercial airline, train or bus
departures. Looking forward to the day when the same can be said for space
travel.

Only true in a very narrow sense of a *timer* display (instead of a
time display) that is continously updated.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/9126711596_a800507f0f.jpg

On the other hand, how many of set the countdown timer on our phones to
make sure we get to the gate soon enough?

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"