Military Children Win Scholarships to Space Camp

Old July 11th 05, 03:21 AM
Otis Willie

Default Military Children Win Scholarships to Space Camp

Military Children Win Scholarships to Space Camp
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jul2...0708_2013.html

{EXCERPT} By Rudi Williams American Forces Press Service

ATLANTA, July 8, 2005 - The Military Child Education Coalition is
sending 15 children from military families to the U.S. Space Camp in
Huntsville, Ala., this year.

When MCEC started the Bernard Curtis Brown II Memorial Space Camp
scholarship award four years ago, there was only enough money to send
one student to the camp.

"This year we had 160 applicants, and we selected 15 of them," said
retired Army Lt. Gen. Don Jones, a member of the coalition's board of
directors. Jones was speaking to more than 550 attendees at MCEC's 7th
annual conference here recently. "The first year we sent one; the
second year we sent five; the third year we sent 11; and this year,
thanks to our generous donors, we're sending 15."

Space Camp students who receive the scholarships are evenly divided
from grades six through nine. There are six students from the Air
Force: eighth grader Cody Anderson from Shiloh, Ill.; sixth grader
Alexandria Nicole Berry and seventh grader Lauren Sepp from Hanscom
Air Force Base, Mass.; sixth grader Clayton Black and ninth grader
Stacy Webb from Germany; and eighth grader Michael S. Sanders Jr. from
Japan.

The four Coast Guard students a ninth grader Madison T. Barre of
Kodiak, Alaska; ninth grader William Grace Jr. of Owls Head, Maine;
seventh grader David Hertenstein of Astoria, Ore.; and sixth grader
Jennifer Rensink of Mobile, Ala.

The four Army recipients a eighth grader Rayleen Lewis of
Grovetown, Ga.; ninth grader Marc Loffert from Germany; sixth grader
Cullen S. Moriarty from Fort Bragg, N.C.; and sixth grader Patrick
Rounds from South Korea.

The Navy winner is seventh grader Kathrina M. Orozco from Japan.

Talking about the quality of the scholarship recipients, Jones said 14
of the 15 were honor students; many of them had 4.0 grade point
averages and were in advanced classes. Twelve of them said math and
science are their favorite subjects. Six of them want to be pilots.
Eight want to work at the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration. Three of them want to attend a service academy.

Six of them are Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. Ten of them had
participated in sporting activities, and many of them had participated
in about five sporting events. Eight were in band or some form of
music. Four were student council members.

"We had individuals who participated in food drives for the homeless,
and some who are members of the Civil Air Patrol and some who are Red
Cross volunteers," Jones noted.

"A 13-year-old boy said, 'My main goal in life is to be a good role
model for my 1-year-old brother,'" Jones said. "I don't know what you
were doing when you were 13, but I wasn't overly concerned about being
a role model at that time. So that was unusual."

The scholarship was named for Bernard Brown II, the 11-year-old son of
Chief Petty Officer Bernard Brown. Bernard "had been selected to go to
California by the National Science Foundation to attend a science
conference," Jones said. "Unfortunately, on the morning of Sept. 11,
2001, he boarded the plane at Reagan National Airport that was flown
into the Pentagon.

"It was very unfortunate that this young man lost his life, but we
thought he should not lose his life in vain," Jones continued.

He explained that the scholarship allows young people from all
services, both active duty and the activated Guard and Reserve units,
an opportunity to present an essay to MCEC telling why they would like
to go to space camp.

"They talk about patriotism, community service, their future goals and
what they will do with the information that they learn while at space
camp," Jones noted. "If you could reads some of the letter from these
young people you could not help but to be impressed. We promote this
as a life-altering experience, and it truly is."

In space camp, students get an opportunity to meet and interact with
astronauts, people who have actually been in space, Jones said.

"They have a chance to study science projects and physics that are
used in putting people in space," he continued. "They also have a
chance to participate and operate space simulators where they can feel
weightlessness. It's a combination of meeting people, seeing science
and technology, and experiencing actual feelings that astronauts
sometimes feel when they're in a space flight.

"I'd like to encourage people to support the project, the more support
we have, the more kids we can impact," Jones said.

Related Site:

Military Child Education Coalition [
http://www.militarychild.org/

NOTE: View the original version of this web page on DefenseLINK, the
official website of the U.S. Department of Defense, at
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jul2...0708_2013.html

-- Otis Willie (Ret.)
Military News and Information Editor
The American War Library, Est. 1988
http://www.amervets.com
Or our phone number dot com (13105320634.com)
16907 Brighton Avenue
Gardena CA 90247
1-310-532-0634

Military Webmaster Site Link Request Form:
http://www.amervets.com/linkreq.htm

Military and Vet Info-Exchange/Discussion Groups
http://members.aol.com/warlibrary/share.htm

National Space Policy: NSDD-42 (issued on July 4th, 1982) Stuf4 History 158 December 13th 14 10:50 PM
CEV PDQ Scott Lowther Policy 577 May 27th 05 10:11 PM
Stop Space Based Weapons! Mark R. Whittington Policy 1 May 22nd 05 03:35 PM
Ted Taylor autobiography, CHANGES OF HEART Eric Erpelding History 3 November 15th 04 12:32 AM
Clueless pundits (was High-flight rate Medium vs. New Heavy lift launchers) Rand Simberg Space Science Misc 18 February 14th 04 04:28 AM