light up the earth, to save energy and increase safety

Old January 3rd 13, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

Default light up the earth, to save energy and increase safety

Build some big reflectors in earth orbit to illuminate earth during
the night. Even low levels f light would make driving safer, and
brighter lighting could save lots of oil...

This would give nasa a job and be something everyone could see and
appreciate....
Old January 3rd 13, 06:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dean

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 12:11:00 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
Build some big reflectors in earth orbit to illuminate earth during

the night. Even low levels f light would make driving safer, and

brighter lighting could save lots of oil...

This would give nasa a job and be something everyone could see and

appreciate....

Who do you expect to pay for this?
Old January 3rd 13, 11:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

On 1/3/2013 12:11 PM, bob haller wrote:
Build some big reflectors in earth orbit to illuminate earth during
the night.

No thanks, I enjoy my rural night sky which on clear moonless nights can
deliver seeing of objects down to magnitude 6 with the unaided eye.
And lower using averted vision.

Dave

Old January 4th 13, 12:29 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Jan 3, 5:30*pm, David Spain wrote:
On 1/3/2013 12:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

Build some big reflectors in earth orbit to illuminate earth during
the night.

No thanks, I enjoy my rural night sky which on clear moonless nights can
deliver seeing of objects down to magnitude 6 with the unaided eye.
And lower using averted vision.

Dave

it would save oil, make night driving safer, and could end at say
10PM, so night sky lovers would be accomidated.....

say create daylight savings time year round of the longest day of the
year

paid for by savings on oil
Old January 4th 13, 12:56 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

On 1/3/2013 6:29 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Jan 3, 5:30 pm, David Spain wrote:
On 1/3/2013 12:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

Build some big reflectors in earth orbit to illuminate earth during
the night.

No thanks, I enjoy my rural night sky which on clear moonless nights can
deliver seeing of objects down to magnitude 6 with the unaided eye.
And lower using averted vision.

Dave

it would save oil, make night driving safer, and could end at say
10PM, so night sky lovers would be accomidated.....

say create daylight savings time year round of the longest day of the
year

paid for by savings on oil

You of all people should not forget the risks!

Let me refer you to a personal favorite, a little short story by
Issac Asimov entitled "Nightfall":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfa...y_and_novel%29

;-)

Dave

Old January 4th 13, 02:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Jan 3, 6:56*pm, David Spain wrote:
On 1/3/2013 6:29 PM, bob haller wrote:

On Jan 3, 5:30 pm, David Spain wrote:
On 1/3/2013 12:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

Build some big reflectors in earth orbit to illuminate earth during
the night.

No thanks, I enjoy my rural night sky which on clear moonless nights can
deliver seeing of objects down to magnitude 6 with the unaided eye.
And lower using averted vision.

Dave

it would save oil, make night driving safer, and could end at say
10PM, so night sky lovers would be accomidated.....

say create daylight savings time year round of the longest day of the
year

paid for by savings on oil

You of all people should not forget the risks!

Let me refer you to a personal favorite, a little short story by
Issac Asimov entitled "Nightfall":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfa...story_and_nove...

;-)

Dave

so exactly what are the risks? in detail please..........

normal night would be around 10 pm till 5 am, but in a emergency
daylight could be extended to even all night....

for true disasters like hurricanes etc. the daylight could help find
people etc
Old January 4th 13, 07:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

On Thursday, David Spain exclaimed wildly:
[...]

And it isn't fiction that lack of darkness during sleeptime is bad for
some animals, including a certain primate that might be involved in
such a project.

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler

Old January 4th 13, 01:22 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Jan 4, 1:19*am, Snidely wrote:
[...]

lack of darkness during sleep time is fine during the summer isnt it?

the reflectors will use a cheap type thin material and unroll in
orbit, using probably a falcon vehicle. its probably best to limit the
size so one debris imact doesnt take out a huge reflector

More hair-brained schemes that will increase light pollution Rich[_1_] Amateur Astronomy 0 November 12th 09 01:53 AM
Easy Steps To Save Energy payboll Misc 1 October 24th 08 07:43 PM
Way to Save Energy G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 39 July 2nd 08 05:04 PM
Strange Increase in the Total Energy of a Rocket in the Earth-Moon system Matt Astronomy Misc 22 April 19th 07 05:53 PM
Shuttle Liquid Fly-Back Booster to save money, improve safety(flashback) Bob Wilson Space Shuttle 0 July 16th 06 02:12 AM