Try Your Eyes

Old December 8th 04, 04:25 AM
Stephen Paul

Default Try Your Eyes

"SaberScorpX" wrote in message
Got Clouds? Have some fun:

http://www.nidek.com/illusion.html

Yep. Got clouds.

I like the scintillation effect. That's wicked awesome.

-Stephen

Old December 8th 04, 04:27 AM
RichA

On 08 Dec 2004 03:44:26 GMT, (SaberScorpX) wrote:

Got Clouds? Have some fun:

http://www.nidek.com/illusion.html

Eye dominant parallax can be over come. If you centre the object
between the two fingers you see when both eyes are focused on the
object, no such domination occurs.
-Rich

Discover Your Dominant Eye

1. Select an object that is a few feet away from you.
2. Stare at the object and then point to the object using your
index finger.
3. When your eyes are focused on the object and not on your finger,
you will see two blurry fingers in your line of sight.
4. Now, close one eye and then close the other eye.
You will notice that with one of your eyes closed, your index
finger will point exactly at the object, however, when the other eye
is closed, your finger will point at an area slightly shifted to the
side of the object. The eye with which you see your index finger
pointing exactly at the object is your "Dominant Eye."
Old December 8th 04, 05:10 AM
SaberScorpX

Got Clouds? Have some fun:

http://www.nidek.com/illusion.html

Eye dominant parallax can be over come. If you centre the object
between the two fingers you see when both eyes are focused on the
object, no such domination occurs.

Without trying to overcome the parallax, my dominate eye
depended on which arm I used to point.
Left arm, left eye. Right arm, right eye.
Old December 8th 04, 05:43 PM
Alexander Avtanski

RichA wrote:
On 08 Dec 2004 03:44:26 GMT, (SaberScorpX) wrote:

Got Clouds? Have some fun:

http://www.nidek.com/illusion.html

Eye dominant parallax can be over come. If you centre the object
between the two fingers you see when both eyes are focused on the
object, no such domination occurs.
-Rich

I was about to say the same. This test is nonsense (the others are
fine, I'm talking just about the dominant eye test).

When I try it at I see two finger images. And then I have to decide
how I want them - which one I want to point to the remote object.
This is a conscious decision - if I want the left one, the right
one, or I want to center the remote object between the two.

- Alex

Old December 8th 04, 08:56 PM
Brian Tung

Alexander Avtanski wrote:
Eye dominant parallax can be over come. If you centre the object
between the two fingers you see when both eyes are focused on the
object, no such domination occurs.
-Rich

I was about to say the same. This test is nonsense (the others are
fine, I'm talking just about the dominant eye test).

It's not quite nonsense for me. It correctly identifies my dominant
left eye (although I've known about this kind of test for a long time).
My left eye is very dominant--I have a good deal of trouble observing
with my right eye, when I try doing that--and it may be that the test
is indecisive unless one eye is that dominant.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old December 10th 04, 12:56 AM
Glenn Holliday

Alexander Avtanski wrote:

snipped some stuff about dominant eye test

When I try it at I see two finger images. And then I have to decide
how I want them - which one I want to point to the remote object.
This is a conscious decision - if I want the left one, the right
one, or I want to center the remote object between the two.

When I was treated last summer for an eye problem, I gave
exactly your description to my doctor. He told me hardly
anybody can do that, and it's considered unusual. He said
most people have a distinctly dominant eye, and can't
switch dominance to the other one. I always
thought everybody could do it.

--
Glenn Holliday
Old December 10th 04, 02:00 AM
Alexander Avtanski

Glenn Holliday wrote:
Alexander Avtanski wrote:

snipped some stuff about dominant eye test

When I try it at I see two finger images. And then I have to decide
how I want them - which one I want to point to the remote object.
This is a conscious decision - if I want the left one, the right
one, or I want to center the remote object between the two.

When I was treated last summer for an eye problem, I gave
exactly your description to my doctor. He told me hardly
anybody can do that, and it's considered unusual. He said
most people have a distinctly dominant eye, and can't
switch dominance to the other one. I always
thought everybody could do it.

Strange... I also assumed that everybody can do this. I recently
discovered another thing, that surprised me: not everybody can
defocus his/her eyes voluntarily (and I mean "defocus", not cross).

- Alex

P.S. Speaking of interesting things one can do with his eyes,
one the most useful tricks when comparing two images, or
printed text pages is to cross your eyes and to adjust the
images so they fit exactly one over another. All the
differences appear as blinking. As I am a programmer, this
helps me a lot - where some people would use "diff" I just
open two windows and point: "Here is a difference, and
there is another one." I might look funny while "diffing"
though, :-)