UK Astronomy Buy & Sell

Old July 11th 03, 05:55 PM
Boxington Headmaker

Default UK Astronomy Buy & Sell

Not without a legitimate address to forward it to!

Sorry, I guess that my ISP didn't accept my munged e-mail address.

the underscore boxhead at hotmail dot com

cheers,
Box

--
Boxington Headmaker
-= Excess is never enough =-

Old July 11th 03, 06:51 PM
M13

(Chris.B) wrote in message . com...
Stephen Tonkin wrote in message ...
M13 wrote:
Some of you may be interested in a new web site dedicated to used
telescope equipment swapping for the UK and Ireland. People can place
"for sale" and "wanted" adverts free of charge.

The site can be seen at
www.astrobuysell.com/uk

This joker is also un-munging spoiled addresses from Chris's site and
spamming them with the same post (is he too stupid to understand that
the reason we spoil them is because we *don't* want spam? I, for one,
will not be supporting this spammer's web site.

Best,
Stephen

You got the right bloke Stephen? There's been some discussion on
Yahoo uk.telescopes. He's not selling anything. AFAIKT. He seems quite
reasonable. There's spam and there's spam. Somebody selling something
irrelevant is an ever increasing irritant. A free advertising service
for used astro equipment is not.IMO Though commercial spam from astro
equipment providers would be.
I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Until the
commercial ads start and/or spam increase noticably or some other
problem crops up. Perhaps the answer would be to use a fresh e-mail
address to check if it's being mined? It has a way to go before it
reaches AA's popularity. But then it's just getting off the ground.
THe attraction of images, instant display and the ability to correct
the ad are all plus points IMO. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. (As
usual).g

Chris.B

First an apology – it was not my intention to spam.
I would merely like to let people know about the web site I created,
which took me many days to do. I am not selling anything. I have a
full time job with a large corporation and I am a long time amateur
astronomer who often gets involved with Club activities.
I have seen others post messages inviting people to visit their web
pages, so I thought my message to this newsgroup would have been ok.
Regarding the direct email to Stephen, I've already emailed him
directly apologizing to him (I hope he accepts). I should have been
more careful and realized he "encoded" his email address because he
does not wish to receive any unsolicited email.

Because I too hate spam, I wanted to let only the interested people
know about my web site, therefore I emailed a few people who are
currently selling their used astronomy gear and told them about my web
site. There will be no further emails as I hope word of mouth will
give more exposure to my web site.

By the way, this was the only flaming / negative feedback I've
received so far. Others have welcomed my web site and like it (like
Chris.B above)

Best Regards,
Paul.

Old July 11th 03, 07:27 PM
Stephen Tonkin

M13 wrote:
[...]
I thought my message to this newsgroup would have been ok.

For the record, I want to make it clear that I was not objecting to the
announcement on this NG (which I thought was entirely appropriate), but
to the unsolicited junk/bulk email.

(And I 'm still trying to figure out the point of spamming people who
will see the announcement in the NG!)

Anyway, I've said my piece -- I will shut the %$&@ up now.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +

Old July 11th 03, 07:35 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Paul Kelly wrote:
Totally off topic really, but I couldnt help but marvel at the extent
to which the above two sentences would have been utterly unfathomable
to anyone just a decade or so ago :-)

Equally off topic, and horribly pedantic:

Not quite utterly. :-)

"Troffed" was BBS parlance over a decade ago (usually with respect to
files). I don't know when "spam" came in , but Canter and Siegel did
their loathsome bit for it in April 1994. Haven't a clue about "munged".

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Old July 11th 03, 09:17 PM
Martin Frey

"Fleetie" wrote:

what are we hiding her? Telescopes of
mass destruction?

Well maybe _he's_ not selling them, but imagine what the mirror
from a 10 metre scope atop a mountain could _do_ to something
if it were used to focus sunlight!

r=5m; == A ~= 78.5 m^2
P_incident ~= 1kWm^-2 == P_tot ~= 78.5 kW

That's quite a toaster! It could spoil your whole day if it was pointing
at you!

Crikey - I hope the Americans aren't reading this. They'll all trade
in their goto scopes for this latest gizmo.

Get the Meade with DAGS, the world's first Digital Auto Gotcher
system. No Frenchman will ever kick sand in your face again, no German
will ever get near a deckchair and livel...

Cheers

Martin

Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47