Apollo 11 launch image question

Old June 17th 08, 03:56 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Default Apollo 11 launch image question

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._11_launch.jpg -
take a look at the tip of the LES - it looks like it's glowing, but A-11 was
travelling at just under Mach 1 at the time (note the condensation cloud
around the interstage).

I seem to recall seeing images of the LES with a yellow nose; could that be
it?

Old June 17th 08, 06:09 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected][_1_]

On Jun 17, 10:56*am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Apollo_11_launch.jpg-
take a look at the tip of the LES - it looks like it's glowing, but
A-11 was travelling at just under Mach 1 at the time (note the
condensation cloud around the interstage). I seem to recall seeing
images of the LES with a yellow nose; could that be it?My guess is a
sunlight reflection off the "Q-Ball" guidance section(door acess
panels or optics) on the LES.................Doc
Old June 17th 08, 09:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._11_launch.jpg -
take a look at the tip of the LES - it looks like it's glowing, but A-11 was
travelling at just under Mach 1 at the time (note the condensation cloud
around the interstage).

I seem to recall seeing images of the LES with a yellow nose; could that be
it?

Some sort of static electrical discharge? It does look very odd.

Pat
Old June 17th 08, 10:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On Jun 17, 10:56 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...11_launch.jpg-
take a look at the tip of the LES - it looks like it's glowing, but A-11 was
travelling at just under Mach 1 at the time (note the condensation cloud
around the interstage).

I seem to recall seeing images of the LES with a yellow nose; could that be
it?

Look at the other parts of the Saturn V that are angled in the same
way as the
tip of the LES, they're showing similar reflections at the side of the
SM, the side
of the LM Adapter, and the S II interstage area.

Its just the angle of the light.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pad_3 9_A.jpg

shows the LES is painted white in it's entirety.
Old June 17th 08, 10:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected][_1_]

On Jun 17, 5:01*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
wrote:
My guess is a
sunlight reflection off the "Q-Ball" guidance section(door acess
panels or optics) on the LES.................Doc

I don't think there were any optics on the Apollo LES.

Pat

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxYou're
correct. (I was thinking horizon sensor) A quick check on Q-ball
shows that atop the LES there were numerous "openings" These openings
were for "air pressure probes" (although I do not know if they were
pito tubest per-se)mo that could sense any off-axis pressure
variation indicating off axis movement. None-the-less Q-Ball was a
busy place as far as angles and openings and shiny metal which could
reflect sun-light at odd angles back to the
camera.....................Doc
Old June 18th 08, 04:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Alan Erskine wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._11_launch.jpg -
take a look at the tip of the LES - it looks like it's glowing, but A-11
was travelling at just under Mach 1 at the time (note the condensation
cloud around the interstage).

I seem to recall seeing images of the LES with a yellow nose; could that
be it?

Some sort of static electrical discharge? It does look very odd.

Pat

Yeah.... I've seen the image before, but never noticed it. I remember
seeing an image of an Apollo on the pad (very BIG image - took ages to
download on a dial-up), with a yellow tip on the LES. A couple of people
have suggested sunlight, but I think it's too evenly distributed for that -
if you have a close look, the yellow goes all the way around - way out of
sunlight range.