Can anyone help this guy out?

Old April 24th 08, 03:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Default Can anyone help this guy out?

http://www.apolloartifacts.com/2007/..._csm_guid.html

Thought someone here might know.

Old April 24th 08, 06:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Apr 24, 7:58 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
http://www.apolloartifacts.com/2007/..._csm_guid.html

Thought someone here might know.

Most of everything you ever needed to know about such nifty stuff is
somewhere within those 700+ missing boxes of our NASA/Apollo fiasco.

Why don't you ask DARPA, or just go fish.
.. - Brad Guth
Old April 24th 08, 07:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Apr 24, 10:58 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
http://www.apolloartifacts.com/2007/..._csm_guid.html

Thought someone here might know.

It's too bad the picture doesn't show any sort of connector or
anything.
All we see is a labeled chunk of... monolith. hmm, there's an idea.
Old April 24th 08, 10:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message
On Apr 24, 10:58 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
http://www.apolloartifacts.com/2007/..._csm_guid.html

Thought someone here might know.

It's too bad the picture doesn't show any sort of connector or
anything.
All we see is a labeled chunk of... monolith. hmm, there's an idea.

Well, the site says it's a "CSM Guidance Computer Compensation Module"; that
should be some kind of clue to its origins.

Old April 25th 08, 02:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
eyeball

Found this on google...dinosaur computers aren't my thing tho...
http://klabs.org/history/apollo_11_a...eyles_2004.htm
Old April 25th 08, 02:29 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Alan Erskine wrote:
http://www.apolloartifacts.com/2007/..._csm_guid.html

Thought someone here might know.

Can't give a complete answer, but hopefully can narrow it down a bit.
The "OPTICS" on the label indicates that this module was part of the
optics subsystem of the PGNCS, which on the CSM included the sextant and
the scanning telescope. The "800 CPS" means 800 Hz (Cycles Per Second),
which indicates this module was on the analog side of the loop. The
Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) sent digital commands to the optics that
were converted to 800 Hz analog signals by the Coupling Data Unit (CDU),
which then went to the motor drive assembly (MDA) on the optics. The
shaft and trunnion angle resolvers on the optics in turn sent analog
signals back to the CDU, which converted them to digital and relayed
them to the AGC.

Since the CDU A-D and D-A channels were not dedicated to the optics, I
would guess that this module was installed on the optics side, not at
the CDU. Beyond that, I can't really guess what this module did
("compensated" for something, but what?), or where it fit into the
overall loop. The schematics I have aren't detailed enough to include it.
Old April 25th 08, 03:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"eyeball" wrote in message
Found this on google...dinosaur computers aren't my thing tho...
http://klabs.org/history/apollo_11_a...eyles_2004.htm

Did you post the link in a message to him? There's a comments form just
below the description.

Old April 26th 08, 12:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Alan Erskine wrote:
"eyeball" wrote in message
Found this on google...dinosaur computers aren't my thing tho...
http://klabs.org/history/apollo_11_a...eyles_2004.htm

Did you post the link in a message to him? There's a comments form just
below the description.

While that's a good article, from a site run by a former s.s.* regular
(hi rk!), I don't think it will provide any clues regarding the
compensation module. The article is about the LM guidance computer, not
the one on the CM. While the computers are identical, the optics
subsystems were very different on the two vehicles. Unlike the SXT/SCT
on the CM which could be pointed by the computer, the LM had the
Alignment Optical Telescope, which was pointed manually by the crew.
Therefore the AOT had no 800 Hz interface with the CDU, and would have
had no need for an 800 Hz compensation module.