Completely OT But Sad: Peter Boyle

Old December 13th 06, 10:44 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
John[_3_]

Default Completely OT But Sad: Peter Boyle

CNN reports that- Peter Boyle, who played the tap-dancing monster in
"Young Frankenstein" and the curmudgeonly father in the long-running
sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond," has died. He was 71. It's all a
matter of individual tastes, but to me "Young Frankenstein" is one of
the funniest movies ever; Peter Boyle was great in it.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

Old December 13th 06, 10:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn

On 13 Dec 2006 13:44:09 -0800, "John" wrote:

CNN reports that- Peter Boyle, who played the tap-dancing monster in
"Young Frankenstein" and the curmudgeonly father in the long-running
sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond," has died.

"Holy crap!"

Brian
Old December 13th 06, 10:55 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

John wrote:

CNN reports that- Peter Boyle, who played the tap-dancing monster in
"Young Frankenstein" and the curmudgeonly father in the long-running
sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond," has died. He was 71. It's all a
matter of individual tastes, but to me "Young Frankenstein" is one of
the funniest movies ever; Peter Boyle was great in it.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

He was ooper-dooper in that. :-)

Pat
Old December 13th 06, 10:58 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Brian Thorn wrote:

"Holy crap!"

He had an enormous schwanstucker from what I've heard.
He was very popular. :-)

Pat
Old December 13th 06, 11:54 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Stan Marsh

A fine character actor, no doubt, but I hope he's best remembered as "The
Monster". I'm sure he was good in "Raymond", but his nuanced performance in
"YF" was for the ages.

Trivia from IMDb:
Before deciding to pursue a career in acting, he was a monk in the Christian
Brothers order.
Peter's wife Loraine was a reporter for Rolling Stone Magazine when they
first met - he was in his full make-up for Young Frankenstein (1974).
Through her friendship with Yoko Ono, Peter met and became best friends with
ex-Beatle John Lennon.

After seeing people cheer at his role in Joe (1970), he refused the lead
role in The French Connection (1971) and other roles that glamorized
violence.

Has two daughters with Alterman, Lucy and Amy.

Suffered a stroke in 1990 and couldn't talk for 6 months.

Father hosted a popular children's lunchtime cartoon show in Philadelphia in
the 1950s titled "Lunch with Uncle Pete."

John Lennon was best man at his wedding to his wife Loraine.

Is Irish-American.

Commuted between Los Angeles, California, and his home in New York City for
the filming of "Everybody Loves Raymond" (1996).

When he hosted "Saturday Night Live" (1975) in the 1970s, he demonstrated
his fine singing voice.

1957 graduate of La Salle University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Was the only member of the ensemble cast of "Everybody Loves Raymond" (1996)
who didn't win an Emmy award for acting in a comedy series.

oups.com...

Old December 14th 06, 03:38 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Stan Marsh wrote:

A fine character actor, no doubt, but I hope he's best remembered as "The
Monster". I'm sure he was good in "Raymond", but his nuanced performance in
"YF" was for the ages.

Yeah, and that wasn't easy to do either, as he had to convey the
monster's character entirely with expressions and growls during most of
the film.
It's hard for me to decide what the funniest scene in the movie is, as
the whole thing is a gem, but the monster and the old blind man is right
up there. :-D

Pat
Old December 14th 06, 03:45 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Herb Schaltegger[_1_]

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:38:29 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote
(in article ):

but the monster and the old blind man is right up there. :-D

+1

In my mind, that scene is tied with the brain scene ("Abby Normal?")
between Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman.

--
Herb Schaltegger
"You can run on for a long time . . . sooner or later, God'll cut you

Old December 14th 06, 04:33 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:38:29 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote
(in article ):

but the monster and the old blind man is right up there. :-D

+1

In my mind, that scene is tied with the brain scene ("Abby Normal?")
between Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman.

And of course, the "hello, handsome!" tactic.
The thing about it is that the whole movie is nothing but one great
scene after another, which makes figuring out which one is best difficult.
This movie was Wilder's idea, and his stamp is on it as much as Brooks'
stamp is on Blazing Saddles.
That they could turn out two of the funniest movies ever inside of a
year is downright amazing.
Hackman ended up in it because he and Wilder used to be tennis buddies,
and he wanted a small part in it of some sort.
Wilder thought he had lost his marbles, as he was one of the most
respected actors around, and Mel Brooks' works weren't considered up
there with Shakespeare. But Hackman kept wheedling at him till he got
the Blind Man part, and as Mel Brooks' said "promptly stole the whole
movie".
He's still hands-down my favorite Lex Luthor :"Otisburg? ....Otisburg?" :-)

Pat
Old December 14th 06, 05:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
eyeball

Sad.I was never a fan of "Raymond" but YF is probably my favorite movie
ever. "Don't inhale,until the tip glows" cracks me up just thinking
about it...

Old December 14th 06, 08:06 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

eyeball wrote:

Sad.I was never a fan of "Raymond" but YF is probably my favorite movie
ever. "Don't inhale,until the tip glows" cracks me up just thinking
about it...

"Fire is our friend!"
I would have loved to see what would have happened if he had cranked up
the espresso machine.
The guy was near lethal with soup...imagine live steam. :-D

Pat