[OT] Peacekeeper Launch from Vandenberg

Old July 21st 04, 09:14 AM
Alexander Avtanski

Default [OT] Peacekeeper Launch from Vandenberg

I just saw the Peacekeeper launch from Vandenberg AFB (California).
Excellent view from San Jose - I've seen several launches from here,
and this one was in the "very good" category. Bright yellow-orange
exhaust, separation of the first stage clearly visible; after
separation could trace the first stage boosters falling down for
about 30 sec.

The sight of couple of dozen million dollars evaporating is
always impressive, :-)

- Alex
Old July 21st 04, 05:26 PM
Robin R. Wier

"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message
I just saw the Peacekeeper launch from Vandenberg AFB

(California).
Excellent view from San Jose - I've seen several launches

from here,
and this one was in the "very good" category. Bright

yellow-orange
exhaust, separation of the first stage clearly visible;

after
separation could trace the first stage boosters falling

down for
about 30 sec.

The sight of couple of dozen million dollars evaporating

is
always impressive, :-)

- Alex

Hi Alex,

Observed same from Phoenix, AZ. Phone talked a "newbie" in
the L.A. area to a successful observation. He saw the flame
20-30 sec's before me. I was disappointed, but then an
orange yellow spot appeared, rising above the tree line. I
followed it for 1-3 minutes (no watch or real sense of
time). Faded out, followed by a flash(?) 5-10 seconds later.
I thought I might have seen something more for another 2-3
minutes, but decided later it must have been a yellow star.
This was my second successful observation from Phoenix, AZ,
of a non twilight VAFB launch. I was using 15x70 binos
resting on vehicle rear view mirror.

Robin

Old July 22nd 04, 01:53 AM
Mike Simmons

I watched the launch from about 100 miles southeast of Vandenberg in the
Santa Monica Mountains. A beautiful launch. I clearly saw two of the
three stage separations and was able to watch the third stage tumbling
away for a long time.

Mike Simmons

Old July 22nd 04, 02:05 AM
Chris S

"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message
I just saw the Peacekeeper launch from Vandenberg AFB (California).
Excellent view from San Jose - I've seen several launches from here,
and this one was in the "very good" category. Bright yellow-orange
exhaust, separation of the first stage clearly visible; after
separation could trace the first stage boosters falling down for
about 30 sec.

The sight of couple of dozen million dollars evaporating is
always impressive, :-)

- Alex

I saw one from 1 mile down range back in 1992. I worked on the Minuteman
III and just so happened to be present for a Peacekeeper launch. Very
impressive stuff and I remember it just as you described. The one cool
thing I did get to see was the missile exit the launch tube and light the
first stage because we had a downhill vantage point to the launch facility.

Maybe I'll get to see another some day. :-)

Old July 22nd 04, 04:23 AM
Skywise

I observed the launch from Stanton down in Orange County,
118.0w 33.8n, through my telescope at both 19x and then
at 30x. I misjudged the location on the horizon where
it would rise and didn't see it until it was almost due
west and rising over a building. I caught it in time
to observe (19x) one of the stages fall away. I then
switched to 30x after the next stage lit and continued
following it until burnout. It was an orange diffuse
dot at all times.

After burnout was the interesting part. It would fade
completely but every 5-7 seconds it would flare up
again to about 1/3 it's brightness before burnout. It
almost looked as though I was watching a slow tumbling
satellite. I fianlly lost it when I accidently bumped
the scope.

I would guess I was either seeing course correction
firings or was following a spent booster as it tumbled
down range, occasionally looking down the still
smoldering 'barrel'.

Brian
--
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Old July 22nd 04, 08:06 AM
Mike Simmons

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:05:39 GMT, Chris S
wrote:
I saw one from 1 mile down range back in 1992. I worked on the Minuteman
III and just so happened to be present for a Peacekeeper launch. Very
impressive stuff and I remember it just as you described. The one cool
thing I did get to see was the missile exit the launch tube and light the
first stage because we had a downhill vantage point to the launch
facility.

Maybe I'll get to see another some day. :-)

There's a Minuteman III scheduled to launch Friday morning with a six-hour
launch window opening at 1:01 AM.

Mike Simmons