ASTRO: NGC 7250 A messy, nearby, galactic merger

Old August 23rd 11, 07:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 7250 A messy, nearby, galactic merger

NGC 7250 is considered to be a merging pair of galaxies. Seems worthy
of Arp's list but wasn't included. It is in the constellation of
Lacerta about 40 to 45 million light-years distant. It is somewhat
obscured by our galaxy's dust. Even with 12 subs the faint outer
regions were just that, faint. It must be a lovely sight without the
dust. It is classed as S-irr by the NGC project and Sdm? at NED. It is
a starburst galaxy which isn't surprising for a recent galaxy merger.
Still it appears rather small in angular size. So small I imaged it at
0.5" per pixel and it still isn't very big. One note indicates the
brightest star-like object to the northwest (upper right) of the core
about 24 seconds of arc from the center is a "companion". Do they mean
the remains of the merging galaxy? For such an interesting galaxy I
found very little on it. Probably because it is nearly impossible to
separate the signature of features of its spectrum, radio and visual,
from those of the Milky Way itself. This is often the case with
galaxies seen this close to the galactic plane. I suppose the galaxy
would be much bluer if not for the galactic extinction as well.

Few other galaxies are in my image, none with redshift data. The
brightest is 2MASX J22182750+4035226 to the east northeast of NGC 7250.
NED lists only one other galaxy in the entire field, though I see a
couple dozen. The one it lists is in the upper right corner of the
image. It is rather red in color and northeast of the first bright star
down from that corner. Several others are in the area, it is the
brightest. It is 2MASX J22173483+4038271 if you just had to know.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=12x10'x1 RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version