Clueless pundits (was High-flight rate Medium vs. New Heavy lift launchers)

Old February 12th 04, 01:16 PM
Kim Keller

Default Clueless pundits (was High-flight rate Medium vs. New Heavy lift launchers)

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
.. .
Just as a follow-up, here's a pertinent Fox News column I just
published:

I'm sure we'll give your opinions, criticism, and feelings all the respect
they're due.

The simple fact that you've established a public pulpit for your opinions
does nothing to make them any more relevant, or even fact-based, than anyone
else's opinions, so please shelve your feelings of intellectual superiority.
Particularly since you chose to align yourself with Fox.

-Kim-

Old February 12th 04, 03:19 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:16:56 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
"Kim Keller" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

I'm sure we'll give your opinions, criticism, and feelings all the respect
they're due.

I expect no more, or less.

The simple fact that you've established a public pulpit for your opinions
does nothing to make them any more relevant, or even fact-based, than anyone
else's opinions, so please shelve your feelings of intellectual superiority.

It has nothing to do with intellect.

Particularly since you chose to align yourself with Fox.

Pointless and baseless ad hominem noted.

Old February 12th 04, 03:38 PM
The Ruzicka Family

The simple fact that you've established a public pulpit for your opinions
does nothing to make them any more relevant, or even fact-based, than

anyone
else's opinions, so please shelve your feelings of intellectual

superiority.
Particularly since you chose to align yourself with Fox.

-Kim-

LOL The "fair and balanced" news! Aligning oneself with Fox already
portrays a right-wing slant.

Old February 12th 04, 07:54 PM
Jim Kingdon

Wow. Lots of stuff here. I'lll start with the link to
http://www.space-access.org/updates/sau102.html - as usual, anything
put out by the Space Access Society is worth reading.

What I've found interesting about the reaction to the Bush space
policy is mainly that people actually have noticed. I don't remember
as much public discussion of SEI in the 80's (although of course this
could be selective memory).

You're right that a lot of the reaction has been knee-jerk anti-Bush.
This morning on the radio there was a whole thing about how it must
have to do with the militarization of space. Well, I'm sure the
commentator disagrees with the administration about the militarization
of space, but I don't see the connection to NASA or to the exploration
program. What hasn't been based on random observations about the Bush
administration has often been based on random observations about NASA
and/or space, again divorced from what is actually being proposed.

Old February 13th 04, 12:21 AM
Tom Merkle

"The Ruzicka Family" wrote in message ...
The simple fact that you've established a public pulpit for your opinions
does nothing to make them any more relevant, or even fact-based, than

anyone
else's opinions, so please shelve your feelings of intellectual

superiority.
Particularly since you chose to align yourself with Fox.

-Kim-

LOL The "fair and balanced" news! Aligning oneself with Fox already
portrays a right-wing slant.

Fox can't help it that liberals see any middle position as
'conservative,' which I suppose it is compared to the left wing slant
that CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, and MSNBC have been spewing for years. Many
studies have documented this bias on political coverage, especially
with regard to word choice and segment selection. Did you know that
CNN, ABC, and Newsweek ALL had the exact same information for TWO
WEEKS prior to the story Drudge 'broke' on Monica Lewinski? I
certainly didn't see a delay in Bob Packwood, Anita Hill coverage or
this trumped up Bush Nat'l Guard issue.

Tom Merkle

Old February 13th 04, 01:28 AM
Kathy Rages

In article ,
Rand Simberg wrote:

Nitpick: Dwayne Day was on the Columbia AIB, not Challenger.

--
Kathy Rages

Old February 13th 04, 03:14 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:21:52 -0800 (PST), Tom Merkle made the sensational claim that:
Fox can't help it that liberals see any middle position as
'conservative,' which I suppose it is compared to the left wing slant
that CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, and MSNBC have been spewing for years.

And most conservatives see that middle position as 'liberal'. If one
considers oneself liberal, and someone says something one doesn't agree with,
why must one immediately[1] label that person "conservative"? I, for one, am
tired of getting blasted as either because my opinions are not so monolithic
as most people.

Many
studies have documented this bias on political coverage, especially
with regard to word choice and segment selection.

Real actual studies on a subjective topic? Can you please cite at least one,
I'd love to see such a beast.

[1] I just learned to spell that word today. F**king *FINALLY*.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old February 13th 04, 04:24 AM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:28:50 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
(Kathy Rages) made the phosphor on my

Rand Simberg wrote:

Nitpick: Dwayne Day was on the Columbia AIB, not Challenger.

Gaaahhhh!

Thanks. I'll see if I can get it fixed.

Old February 13th 04, 04:39 AM
Josh Gigantino

(Tom Merkle) wrote in message . com...
[...]

it seems to be part of the general divisiveness in the nation these
days. Take my grandfather, for instance. He thinks that anything that
isn't Fox News is "liberal" - and refuses to recognize that all the
major news outlets get stories and info from each other. If confronted
with something truly left wing, like say commondreams.org or Pacifica
radio, he starts spouting anti-Communist rhetoric. All major media are
both biased and delibrately manipulative - just like the politicians
and business interests they serve. Television especially makes the
divides beween people wider, it is structurally hard to show more than
2 sides to a topic on TV.

Tom, I asked a couple days ago in another thread - why do you think
that Meridiani has life waiting right under Opportunity's nose?

josh

Tom Merkle