Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

Old Today, 06:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On 18/10/2018 15:00, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 12:13:12 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter wrote:
Also, an extraterrestrial civilization more advanced than ours is not
a God, they didn't create the universe.

Unsubstantiated assertion which may well be dead wrong.

But if it is wrong then monotheists are completely wrong too. There
would be many billions of these God like ETs around in your scenario.

They are subject to the same natural laws as we are.

Sure, but they would know more "natural laws" than we do. We may be just
peeking into some of those. As I said before, I'm partial to the Ekpyrotic
universe theory wherein something similar to the Big Bang was the result
of our brane colliding with an adjacent brane. It gets around two
difficulties that the standard theory has: it doesn't require that the
universe start from a point and it doesn't need inflation to explain
the uniformity of the early universe.

As I have said before it is possible that we live in some higher beings
simulation of a universe. But if that is the case then they are so far
beyond our reach as to be outside the universe and spacetime.

They are hardly likely to be pulling stunts for a few desert tribesmen.

It also allows that a VERY ancient civilization (from a previous genesis)
could have encouraged the event to have happened so, in fact, they could
have indeed created this universe.

Spontaneous universe-antiuniverse pairs may be able to appear and
eventually disappear in much the same way as virtual particles do in our
universe by borrowing energy from the vacuum for a suitably short time.

Our knowledge of the laws of physics break down when you get too close
to t=0 (although they all work very well) from t=1ps onwards.

GUTs are reckoned to be good back to about 10^-36s and beyond that is
the Plank epoch when our theories are pushed beyond breaking point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono...early_universe

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old Today, 07:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The more contemporaries make fools of themselves, the more I appreciate the old societies and their understanding of the cycles of the moon, planets and stars.

The oldest astronomical interpretation is also one of the most important as it shows why the moon is lost to the glare of the Sun for a number of days each month such as the 5200 year old Knowth calendar stone in the Boyne Valley -

http://www.carrowkeel.com/sites/boyn...endarstone.jpg

The seasonal cycle where stars come into view after a period lost to the Sun's glare is lost to celestial sphere enthusiasts who disregard the foundations of the calendar cycle, its annual marker and why the first appearance of a star represents a close approximation of rotations to an orbital circuit. The same desert people mocked here give an ungrateful society today the foundations of human timekeeping -

" Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?. Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?"

Can any of you make sense of the motion of Venus when it too is lost to the glare of the Sun as it travels in two different directions over its orbit ? -

https://www.popastro.com/images/plan...ary%202012.jpg

There are no theories/theorems here, just the greatness of humanity mirroring the greatness of creation. People who can't manage to connect the individual to the Universal via physical interpretations are prohibited from the inspirational medium between person and God however that individual experiences something greater than themselves.

The more ancient societies are mocked or ignored the more people show desperation in themselves that they sold out for nothing other than pseudo-intellectual tinsel. Nobody curses you - you curse yourselves.