Steamy E-Mails Highlight NASA Love Triangle

Old March 7th 07, 09:46 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,alt.tru-crime,alt.showbiz.gossip,alt.gossip.celebrities
Brian Gaff

Default Steamy E-Mails Highlight NASA Love Triangle

Well, I'm afraid this is probably only reportable due to the high profile of
the people involved. Who actually knows what her intentions actually were,
but if the strain of supporting others through grief, and being on a mission
and an affair and a divorce made her thinking illogical, then I'm afraid
the society we live in is not going to have that much sympathy, sadly. As
always, some pretty hardened criminals probably did good things too, and in
our society, there is no excuse.

Brian

Email:

"Wok" wrote in message
(It turns out Oefelein is the dirt bag...)

Steamy E-Mails Highlight NASA Love Triangle
NASA Astronaut Lisa Nowak Collected E-mails Sent between Former
Lover Bill Oefelein and His New Girlfriend
By GINA SUNSERI

March 6, 2007 - - NASA astronaut Lisa Nowak carried printouts of
romantic e-mails between her former boyfriend, space shuttle
pilot Bill Oefelein, and his new girlfriend when she drove
roughly 900 miles in an alleged attempt to abduct the girlfriend
in early February, according to police evidence released Monday.

The steamy e-mail exchanges were sent back and forth between
Oefelein and Air Force Capt. Colleen Shipman -- including at
least one received while Oefelein was on a shuttle mission last
December.

The evidence offered insight into the bizarre behavior of Nowak,
who viewed Shipman as a romantic rival and has been charged with
attempted kidnapping and burglary with assault after an
encounter with Shipman in a Florida airport parking lot.

In one e-mail, Shipman wrote, "Will have to control myself when
I see you, first the urge will be to rip your clothes off, throw
you on the ground, and love the hell out of you."

The e-mails were included in documents released late Monday by
the Orange Osceola State Attorney's office in Florida.

Lisa Nowak apparently discovered the e-mails after she used a
key she kept to let herself into Oefelein's Houston apartment
and log on to his computer. Police said they found printed
copies of some of the e-mails when they arrested Nowak at the
Orlando International Airport in February.

A Love Triangle Revealed

The evidence also details a love affair between Nowak and
Oefelein that he thought was over. Nowak, however, did not.

Oefelein told police he had an affair with Nowak, a 43-year-old
married mother of three, that lasted "for some time." The two
had worked together on several projects at the Johnson Space
Center and belonged to the same bicycling team.

Oefelein met Shipman at the Kennedy Space Center last fall while
he was training for STS 116. He continued to date Nowak even
while he became involved with Shipman, according to his
statement to investigators with the Orlando Police Department.

Shipman thought she and Oefelein were exclusive.

"He told me he had a relationship with a lady that he works with
and that the relationship was over, and he had told that lady
that the relationship was over," Shipman told the police. "I
asked him if he made it clear to her that it was over and he
said, 'Yes.'"

When asked by police if Oefelein ever mentioned having problems
with Nowak, Shipman replied, "I asked him, 'Are you sure that
she's OK with this? Because you know how these things go?' and I
said, 'Is there gonna be some crazy lady showing up at my door
trying to kill me?' And he said, 'No, no, no, she's not like
that. She's fine with it. She's happy for me.'"

Possible Life Sentence

Nowak faces the possibility of life in prison if she is
convicted of all the charges.

She was arrested early in February after driving from Houston to
Orlando, allegedly to stalk Shipman. Nowak wore a diaper on the
drive so she wouldn't have to make bathroom stops, and she
disguised herself in a trench coat and a wig to keep Shipman
from recognizing her.

According to Orlando Police Department reports, security cameras
at the Orlando International Airport tracked Nowak as she
followed Shipman through the airport before approaching her in
the parking lot. She allegedly sprayed a chemical into Shipman's
car before police apprehended her.

The pages of e-mails Nowak was carrying at the time of the
arrest showed how quickly the relationship between Oefelein and
Shipman had heated up.

Oefelein wrote, "You must really have me around your finger that
I can't even function without you here, and with you here I am
slightly smarter than a slug."

Shipman wrote, "The thought of you without clothes is pretty
nice."

It's easy to see why Nowak thought she had been jilted. But was
Oefelein really finished with Nowak? Shipman apparently had some
doubts.

"We went to a club in Houston, then we came home and we had a
few drinks. We were laying in bed, and he called me 'Lisa,'" she
told Orlando police in a statement.

Risking It All for Love and Jealousy

It is still difficult for many of Lisa Nowak's friends to
understand why such a shy, smart and talented woman risked her
her family and her career as a Navy test pilot for an affair
with a fellow astronaut.

Dr. Jonathan Clark, a former NASA flight surgeon is one of
Nowak's biggest supporters. His wife Laurel was one of the seven
astronauts who died when the shuttle Columbia broke up over
Texas in 2003. He told ABC News last month that he would stand
with Nowak as long as she needed him.

"She put off the needs of her own family to help us through
this. I feel that if people really knew the amount of sacrifice
that she made to take care of us, it would give a different
light in the circumstances that exist now," Clark said.

The documents released Monday suggest that she planned the
cross-country drive meticulously. She printed out directions
from the Web site Mapquest that said, "977 miles from NASA Road
One to Orlando International Airport."

Detectives found 30 unused diapers in her car, as well as a
receipt for a night in a motel room on the road, which she paid
for in cash and checked in to under the name "Linda Turner."

Police also found the rope and a knife in Nowak's car, plus a
list of supplies she packed for her alleged confrontation with
Shipman. Also included was a receipt for $3.72 for a tall Mocha
coffee from Starbucks while she waited for Shipman in the
airport.

Nowak also wrote a plaintive note to Oefelein's mother.

"Since my parents are not as supportive right now, it really
means a lot to me to have another Mom to turn to. Thank you so
much for being there for me, Love, Lisa".

Another letter in her notebook shows how deep her feelings were
for Oefelein: "Bill is absolutely the best person I've ever
known and I love him more than I ever knew possible.
Fortunately, that past situation is coming to an end. and I am
in the process of completing all of the official divorce
paperwork."

Nowak's 30 days medical leave from her job as an astronaut are
up on Thursday.

Old March 7th 07, 11:36 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,alt.tru-crime,alt.showbiz.gossip,alt.gossip.celebrities
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Steven L." wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Rand Simberg wrote:
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:20:59 GMT, in a place far, far away, Wok
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way
as to indicate that:

Detectives found 30 unused diapers in her car, as well as a
receipt for a night in a motel room on the road, which she paid
for in cash and checked in to under the name "Linda Turner."

30 diapers? Why so many? The cops only found 2 used diapers in the
plastic bag in her car, plus the one she was wearing, for the entire 900
mile trip. (Which is about what you would expect--if she had to pee every
3 hours, then she needed to pee about 5 or 6 times in total, and 3 diapers
should do it.)

Why 30? My guess is they came in a package of 32 or so.

I wonder if she was planning to return to Houston after her, uh,
"discussion" with Shipman--or become a fugitive. With over two dozen
diapers she could drive her car for several days straight without ever
having to show her face in a public rest room.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:

Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting
sql (at) greenms.com
http://www.greenms.com

Old March 7th 07, 12:21 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Dale Carlson

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:36:50 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"Steven L." wrote in message

30 diapers? Why so many? The cops only found 2 used diapers in the
plastic bag in her car, plus the one she was wearing, for the entire 900
mile trip. (Which is about what you would expect--if she had to pee every
3 hours, then she needed to pee about 5 or 6 times in total, and 3 diapers
should do it.)

Why 30? My guess is they came in a package of 32 or so.

This seems like a logical conclusion, Greg Having cared for an
elderly parent, my memory is that that's about the number in one
of the package sizes.

Odd that she bought a tall Mocha coffee from Starbucks. That's
one whole Depends right there...

Dale
Old March 7th 07, 03:23 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,alt.tru-crime,alt.showbiz.gossip,alt.gossip.celebrities
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Steven L." wrote in message
rthlink.net...
30 diapers? Why so many?