Face reality!

Old December 28th 03, 01:10 PM
Richard

Default Face reality!

Beagle2 crashed. Let's face up to that!
Old December 28th 03, 01:21 PM
Martin Frey

"Richard" wrote:

Beagle2 crashed. Let's face up to that!

Why? Were you there?

If the odds are 1,000 to 1 against B2, is it not still worth spending
a few thousand to try and find a 30 million project that still might
deliver some good science.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old December 28th 03, 02:07 PM
Richard

"Martin Frey" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote:

Beagle2 crashed. Let's face up to that!

Why? Were you there?

If the odds are 1,000 to 1 against B2, is it not still worth spending
a few thousand to try and find a 30 million project that still might
deliver some good science.

The search has to be made, but I'm getting bothered by the continued
enthusiasm for a positive outcome when there is no hope of such.

Old December 28th 03, 02:54 PM
Martin Frey

"Richard" wrote:

"Martin Frey" wrote in message
.. .
"Richard" wrote:

Beagle2 crashed. Let's face up to that!

Why? Were you there?

If the odds are 1,000 to 1 against B2, is it not still worth spending
a few thousand to try and find a 30 million project that still might
deliver some good science.

The search has to be made, but I'm getting bothered by the continued
enthusiasm for a positive outcome when there is no hope of such.

Why? Where you there? I think we all would have loved to get a first
time positive outcome. I think we always knew this was a risky
venture. The main chance of picking up a signal is and always was post
Jan 4th when ME is in position.

Why not wait till a couple of weeks after that before switching off
the life support machine? Ever rung someone up and had no answer? Were
they dead? Or did you ring them later and maybe even get through?

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old December 28th 03, 02:58 PM
Chris Eilbeck

"Richard" writes:

The search has to be made, but I'm getting bothered by the continued
enthusiasm for a positive outcome when there is no hope of such.

Errm, the primary means of communication from B2 via Mars Express
hasn't been tried yet. You might not have any hope but a lot of us
still do.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
Old December 28th 03, 03:40 PM
Dave

The search has to be made, but I'm getting bothered by the continued
enthusiasm for a positive outcome when there is no hope of such.

I know what you mean. This story about the internal clock may have been
reset is beginning to grate a little. However you can see why they need to
keep this side of the public relations open until it is known what happened.
Its very important to keep the media interested and to keep them writing
stories on the matter. Its the best way of securing funding for a 'Beagle
3'.

I would have to agree though that it is most likely the craft is lying in
pieces on some Martian plain... even so, it can't hurt to keep looking.

Old December 28th 03, 07:57 PM
Dave Pearson

* Richard :

The search has to be made, but I'm getting bothered by the continued
enthusiasm for a positive outcome when there is no hope of such.

Why do you say that the search has to be made if you also know for certain
that the search is a futile gesture?

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/
Old December 28th 03, 11:09 PM
Roger Smith

In message , Richard
wrote

"Richard" wrote:

Beagle2 crashed. Let's face up to that!

Why? Were you there?

If the odds are 1,000 to 1 against B2, is it not still worth spending
a few thousand to try and find a 30 million project that still might
deliver some good science.

The search has to be made, but I'm getting bothered by the continued
enthusiasm for a positive outcome when there is no hope of such.

Because the other approach gets you nowhere even faster and is
depressing for far longer.

It is the attitude that gets you into the situation where the only way
you can get any sort of probe together is beg, borrow or humiliate
yourself on TV to raise a pittance of funding and then have to hitch a
ride on some other countries kit because your own countries space
programme got axed because there was no hope (of getting any return).

The odds are not looking good for Beagle 2 but as we have yet to even
try it's primary communications route statements that there is no hope
are about a week and a half premature.
--
Roger
52:54:41N

Old December 28th 03, 11:31 PM
Chris Eilbeck

"to@d" writes:

Hi Chris, you the Chris that works for QQ@Malvern ?

I'm not the one at Herriot Watt uni. I think that accounts for both
of us

Chris