GEOMAGNETIC STORM: An interplanetary shock wave (possibly a CME)hit Earth's magnetic field during the late hours of May 31st

Old June 1st 13, 05:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default GEOMAGNETIC STORM: An interplanetary shock wave (possibly a CME)hit Earth's magnetic field during the late hours of May 31st

Space Weather News for May 31, 2013
http://spaceweather.com

GEOMAGNETIC STORM: An interplanetary shock wave (possibly a CME) hit
Earth's magnetic field during the late hours of May 31st, sparking a
polar geomagnetic storm. At the time of this alert, a G1-class storm
is underway and solar wind conditions favor high-latitude auroras.
Check http://spaceweather.com for details and updates.

DON'T MISS THE STORM: Would you like a call when geomagnetic storms
are in progress? Storm alerts are available from
http://spaceweathertext.com (text) and http://spaceweatherphone.com
(voice).

Old June 1st 13, 07:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Howdy Sam! I was just out poking around with binocs, and I thought I saw a ray of blue light reaching up toward Polaris... I've got to go north of my little town to get a good view of Northern Lights, but I figured I'd check SAA and see if Sam had any kind of alert. I'd like to hop in the car and head north, but I've gotta get up early tomorrow...
Marty
Old June 1st 13, 04:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 6/1/13 1:11 AM, wrote:
Howdy Sam! I was just out poking around with binocs, and I thought I saw a ray of blue light reaching up toward Polaris... I've got to go north of my little town to get a good view of Northern Lights, but I figured I'd check SAA and see if Sam had any kind of alert. I'd like to hop in the car and head north, but I've gotta get up early tomorrow...
Marty

From
http://spaceweather.com

"I wasn't expecting to see any lights, but right before the midnight it
broke loose and the sky lit up," says Griffith. "Sadly the clouds
quickly filled in my little window, and the auroras were gone. Just
thankful for what I got so see!" Elsewhere in the USA, auroras were
sighted as far south as Colorado, Maryland, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

Old June 1st 13, 11:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Space Weather News for June 1, 2013
http://spaceweather.com

AURORA SURPRISE: Last night, Northern Lights spilled across the
Canadian border and descended into the contiguous United States as
far south as Colorado and Nebraska. The display was caused by the
unexpected arrival of an interplanetary shock wave on May 31st.
Check http://spaceweather.com for pictures of the display and the
odds of a repeat performance tonight.

DID YOU MISS THE STORM? Next time get a wake-up call. Aurora and
solar flare alerts are available from http://spaceweathertext.com
(text) and http://spaceweatherphone.com (voice).

Old June 2nd 13, 01:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

On May 31, 9:23*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
Space Weather News for May 31, 2013
http://spaceweather.com

GEOMAGNETIC STORM: An interplanetary shock wave (possibly a CME) hit
Earth's magnetic field during the late hours of May 31st, sparking a
polar geomagnetic storm. At the time of this alert, a G1-class storm
is underway and solar wind conditions favor high-latitude auroras.
Checkhttp://spaceweather.comfor details and updates.

DON'T MISS THE STORM: Would you like a call when geomagnetic storms
are in progress? Storm alerts are available from
http://spaceweathertext.com(text) andhttp://spaceweatherphone.com
(voice).

760 km/sec at one proton/cm3 is certainly an impressive flow, that's
only going to get worse.

Now try to imagine what Sirius(b) had to offer as it was quickly
burning through its enormous volume of hydrogen, and then helium.
Old June 2nd 13, 03:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 6/2/13 7:51 AM, Brad Guth wrote:
Now try to imagine what Sirius(b) had to offer as it was quickly
burning through its enormous volume of hydrogen, and then helium.

Sirius is not currently fusing hydrogen, Brad.

Old June 2nd 13, 05:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jun 2, 7:03*am, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 6/2/13 7:51 AM, Brad Guth wrote:

Now try to imagine what Sirius(b) had to offer as it was quickly
burning through its enormous volume of hydrogen, and then helium.

* *Sirius is not currently fusing hydrogen, Brad.

That's not what I'd asked of you, although it further proves your
willing intent to obfuscate and deceive. No wonder our K-12s are so
pathetically hopeless and more helpless than ever, as in dumbfounded
past the point of no return.

Old June 3rd 13, 01:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 6/2/13 7:51 AM, Brad Guth wrote:
Now try to imagine what Sirius(b) had to offer as it was quickly
burning through its enormous volume of hydrogen, and then helium.

What we have left is a white dwarf only 0.92 the size of Earth.

From the orbit (and spectroscopic data), we find that Sirius A and B
have respective masses of 2.12 and 1.03 times that of the Sun. Sirius
B is the chief member of a trio of classic white dwarfs, the others
Procyon B and 40 Eridani B. Its high mass and tiny radius lead to an
amazing average density of 1.7 metric tons per cubic centimeter,
roughly a sugar cube. White dwarfs are the end products of ordinary
stars like the Sun, tiny remnants that were once nuclear-fusing cores
that have run out of fuel. Most are balls of carbon and oxygen whose
fates are merely to cool forever. To have evolved first, Sirius B
must once have been more massive and luminous than Sirius A. That its
mass is now lower is proof that stars lose considerable mass as they
die. Given the mass of the white dwarf and the 250 million year age
of the system, Sirius B may once have been a hot class B3-B5 star
that could have contained as much as 5 to 7 solar masses, the star
perhaps losing over 80 percent of itself back into interstellar space
through earlier winds.

--- From Jim Kalar's Stars
http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/sowlist.html

A solar wind stream hit Earth's magnetic field on May 27-28, sparkinga moderate geomagnetic storm Sam Wormley[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 0 May 28th 11 06:23 PM
A solar wind stream hit Earth during the late hours of Feb. 4th,sparking a G2-class (Kp=6) geomagnetic storm Sam Wormley[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 0 February 5th 11 12:29 AM
What if (on Earth's Magnetic field.?? G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 19 January 16th 07 03:20 AM
Earth's Magnetic Field Stinger Misc 5 November 20th 03 01:57 PM
Strong Geomagnetic Storm Expected To Hit Earth Fri Brendan DJ Murphy UK Astronomy 0 October 24th 03 07:11 AM