Restored Saturn V on display at JSC Houston

Old July 21st 07, 07:03 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Default Restored Saturn V on display at JSC Houston

james_powers wrote:
"Stan Marsh" wrote in message
Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

Let's hope the restoration of the Saturn V at Huntsville turns out as well.
The only one of the remaining 3 standing vertically, it too has suffered
greatly from exposure to the elements, and was found to be infested with
raccoons and other critters

You are confusing two different Saturn Vs at Huntsville.

The vertical one is a mockup, not a real rocket.

The horizontal one is the one being restored. Despite what the media may
have said, it was a test vehicle, not a flight-rated Saturn V.

There were only two unflown flight-rated Saturn Vs. (Fifteen were built,
thirteen flew Apollos 4, 6, 8-17 and Skylab 1). The Saturn V at JSC is
the only one with all flight-rated stages, but not all from the same
vehicle. The Saturn V at KSC has a test first stage but is otherwise
flight-rated. The remaining flight-rated first stage is on display at
Michoud.
Old July 21st 07, 11:42 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jul 21, 7:49 am, BradGuth wrote:
On Jul 20, 12:23 pm, "Stan Marsh" wrote:

Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

Is the impressive fly-by-rocket physics of such a 60:1 rocket/payload
ratio that started off with having a nearly 30% inert GLOW factor, any
part of that display?
- Brad Guth

OOPS!, sorry about all that. I didn't mean to rock your hocus-pocus
good ship LOLLIPOP that never got folks walking on our moon.
- Brad Guth

Old July 22nd 07, 03:03 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jimbob Jumpback

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:24:58 -0500, OM
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:23:33 -0400, "Stan Marsh"
wrote:

Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

...While I appreciate the efforts of the restoration team, they could
have made the unveiling more known to the public. I would have been
down there today for it had I known. Morons.

OM

That's what I've beeen saying about the NASA PAO for years. These
people are clueless about public awareness about anything. You said it
best - morons.
--

Jim in Houston
osPAm

Old July 22nd 07, 12:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

wrote:

Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

...While I appreciate the efforts of the restoration team, they could
have made the unveiling more known to the public. I would have been
down there today for it had I known. Morons.

Hard to fathom that NASA's PR machine didn't make more of an effort, given
how they trumpet the accomplishments of Apollo.

On the plus side, the rocket appears to much more viewable than the one at
KSC. That one must be at least 10-12 feet off the floor, not the most
tourist-friendly thing.

Notice how there's still no such posted fly-by-rocket physics that
actually works on behalf of hardly anything NASA/Apollo walking on
that physically dark and nasty moon, for other than robotic orbiting
(possibly at best a limited A13 human orbit) and otherwise impact or
at best one-way hard landing deployments.
- Brad Guth