Restored Saturn V on display at JSC Houston

Old July 20th 07, 08:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stan Marsh

Default Restored Saturn V on display at JSC Houston

Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

Old July 20th 07, 10:24 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:23:33 -0400, "Stan Marsh"
wrote:

Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

....While I appreciate the efforts of the restoration team, they could
have made the unveiling more known to the public. I would have been
down there today for it had I known. Morons.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old July 20th 07, 11:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
R.Glueck

This has been NASA's problem from the beginning. They have understated
almost everything except the Mars landings. Even in retrospectives,
astronauts and actors speaking as astronauts, bemoan the fact that while
everything they did was terribly complex and required super-human efforts to
choreograph, the agency made it look so easy. Consider the national horrors
expressed whe the shuttles were destroyed. Anyone with inside understanding
would know how dangerous the shuttle is, yet the public still sees each
launch as a lark.

So it goes with Apollo restoration.

Should there ever be a Project Orion in reality, perhaps NASA won't be so
smooth in creting another miracle. We might only wish!

Old July 21st 07, 12:09 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Weiss

Stan Marsh wrote:
Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

From the article:

Eight missions traveled to the moon, and six landed there.

Shouldn't that be NINE missions that made it to the moon? Apollo 8, 10,
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 all went to the moon. 8, 10, and 13 never
landed.

Which mission did they forget? Probably Apollo 10, as usual.

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Old July 21st 07, 12:18 AM posted to sci.space.history
james_powers

"Stan Marsh" wrote in message
Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

Let's hope the restoration of the Saturn V at Huntsville turns out as well.
The only one of the remaining 3 standing vertically, it too has suffered
greatly from exposure to the elements, and was found to be infested with
raccoons and other critters

Old July 21st 07, 01:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From james_powers:

The only one of the remaining 3 standing vertically, it too has suffered
greatly from exposure to the elements, and was found to be infested with
raccoons and other critters

All three are horizontal. You might want to look into the story of
how the vertical SatV got built.

~ CT

Old July 21st 07, 01:50 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Bob Weiss" wrote in message
Stan Marsh wrote:
Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

From the article:

Eight missions traveled to the moon, and six landed there.

Shouldn't that be NINE missions that made it to the moon? Apollo 8, 10,
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 all went to the moon. 8, 10, and 13 never
landed.

I'm guessing Apollo 8 since didn't have a LM with it.

Which mission did they forget? Probably Apollo 10, as usual.

Bob Weiss N2IXK

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old July 21st 07, 02:48 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stan Marsh

wrote:

Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

...While I appreciate the efforts of the restoration team, they could
have made the unveiling more known to the public. I would have been
down there today for it had I known. Morons.

Hard to fathom that NASA's PR machine didn't make more of an effort, given
how they trumpet the accomplishments of Apollo.

On the plus side, the rocket appears to much more viewable than the one at
KSC. That one must be at least 10-12 feet off the floor, not the most
tourist-friendly thing.

Old July 21st 07, 03:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
Ry Alford

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:18:53 -0400, "james_powers"
wrote:

"Stan Marsh" wrote in message
.. .
Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

Let's hope the restoration of the Saturn V at Huntsville turns out as well.
The only one of the remaining 3 standing vertically, it too has suffered
greatly from exposure to the elements, and was found to be infested with
raccoons and other critters

The Sat V in Huntsville is in the process of restoration. Stages 1
and 2 were inside the new building last week. I'm not sure of the
schedule for completing the move of the upper stages, but it should be
soon if it didn't happen this week.

Old July 21st 07, 03:49 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jul 20, 12:23 pm, "Stan Marsh" wrote:
Houston's Saturn V restoration is complete:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19864964/

Is the impressive fly-by-rocket physics of such a 60:1 rocket/payload
ratio that started off with having a nearly 30% inert GLOW factor, any
part of that display?
- Brad Guth