..Presidents Science Advisor on Complexity Science

Old May 7th 07, 03:05 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jonathan

Default ..Presidents Science Advisor on Complexity Science

The President's Science Advisory and Director of the Office of Science
and Technology Policy John Marburger speaks on complexity and the
Administration's thinking on basic research at a recent meeting
of the Amercian Association for the Advancement of Science.

Selections from his remarks follow:

(couldn't have said it better myself...in fact..oh nevermind)

"Today the frontiers of the large and the small -- of astronomy and particle
physics remain unconquered. But they have receded so far from the world of
human action that the details of their phenomena are no longer very relevant
to practical affairs. Not by accident, the instrumentation required to
explore them has become expensive. Because we can no longer expect that
society will benefit materially from the phenomena we discover in these
remote hinterlands, the justification for funding these fields rests
entirely on the usefulness of the technology needed for the quest, and on
the joy we experience in simply knowing how nature works."

"But the greatest opportunities in science today are not to be found at
these remote frontiers. The inexorable ratcheting advance of technology and
conceptual tools have brought science to a new and previously inaccessible
frontier. It seems to me -- and I am not the first to point this out -- that
we are in the early stage of a revolution in science nearly as profound
as the one that occurred early in the last century with the birth of
quantum mechanics.

"This revolution is caused by two developments: one is the set of
instruments such as electron microscopy, synchrotron x-ray sources, lasers,
scanning microscopy, and nuclear magnetic resonance devices; the other is
the availability of powerful computing and information technology. Together
these have brought science finally within the reach of a new
frontier, the frontier of complexity..."
http://www.plexusinstitute.com/NewsE...show.cfm?id=33

Old May 7th 07, 03:32 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
kT

Default ..Presidents Science Advisor on ****burgers

Jonathan wrote:

The President's Science Advisory and Director of the Office of Science
and Technology Policy John Marburger speaks on

That's usually when those familiar with science quit reading.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old May 7th 07, 09:20 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
George[_1_]

"Jonathan" wrote in message
newsRv%h.24084$vD4.9490@bigfe9...
[...]

Sounds like Bush is preparing the scientific world for huge budget cuts.
But hey, if they can't legally get science out of the schools, and replace
it with their religion, they'll just turn the money faucet off. And then,
of course, we'll all have to move to Europe in order to get funding. I'm
not surprised.

George

Old May 7th 07, 09:46 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
don findlay

George wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

Stick to the point George. What Jonathan is saying is that the world
is a complex place (not one dimensional simplicty as you and
Archimedes' Leg would have it - the one with the frangipani poultice)
and we need to deal with it in that light. What Bush's Man is saying
is that we now have the technology to begin to tackle that. He's not
advocating you and everybody else move to Europe to "get funding".
God forbid.

Or maybe you think it's an undercover ploy to talk about complex
issues like God and the Secret of Life, ..well going by the amount of
reflection here in the Grubby Area of the Earth Sciences, it's at
least good to know somebody is prepared to talk about something.
Even Plate Tectonics.

("We want Stu, ..We want Stu....!!) (See if you can't rustle the old
windbag up..)

Old May 7th 07, 05:25 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
SBC Yahoo

"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

I think GWB has two PhD's in Religonology, or as it is commonly called
"Science For Dummies". One issued by the Jim and Tammie Fay Baker Institute
for Charity, Religion and Higher Education, the other by Oral Roberts
University of Religion and Fairy Tales.

But George B does have an understanding of the need for science, but he has
a conflict when anything in science conflicts with the ultimate reference
book (The Bible). That must be constantly, since we all know the Earth is
the Center of the universe and everything revolves about the Earth (so said
the scientific church years ago, God told them so).

Unlike most people today, I actually like GWB, but he does have his flaws.
I just remember how people ridiculed Ronald Regan and his trickle down
economics when he was president, too. His 'voodoo economics' stopped the
double digit inflation of the Jimmy Carter era and started the greatest
economic expansion in the history of the USA. And Ronie would be the first
to tell one that he was no rocket scientist, but he certainly could get
things accomplished. We have not had inflation since, due to Regan policies.
Then, remember the Soviet Union? They remember Regan, they changed
management due to his policies, too.

Ah, bring back Herbert Hoover, the only Mine Engineer to be president, was
he really responsible for the stock market crash? No, but he got blamed for
it. Maybe some day a Geologist will become bored and seek the office of
President.
Does the USA have a National Rock? The state mineral of California is Gold,
but the liberals have passed legislation that prevent gold surface mining
from occurring in California.

"How soon those that never knew anything forget what the did not know in the
first place."

Old May 7th 07, 05:36 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
WillE1

"don findlay" wrote in message
ups.com...

George wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

George may have a point here Don. I remember one director of a large science
institution (~1964) moping and walking about looking dejected because
significant funding was removed to help pay for Viet Nam events. The war was
just starting. I have a stack of bills that I would like to pay from top to
bottom,but mostly I am just shuffling the deck.

Complexity science has been around for awhile but I have to admit I haven't
kept up with it. Out of the loop these days.

Old May 7th 07, 06:02 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
WillE1

"SBC Yahoo" wrote in message

"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

I suppose it is the Moon Rock, but probably varies with the administration
in office. Right now it is the Rock of Ages, the one before was Rock and
Roll, in the 60's and 70's it was Black Granite (Gabbro?), but mostly it's
just Schist. Will E.

Old May 8th 07, 03:27 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"SBC Yahoo" wrote in message
I think GWB has two PhD's in Religonology

That statement is demonstrably false- if you use a word like
"religionology", then you aren't thinking.

Have you made any effort to verify this, or are you talking out of your ass?
Have you even run a Google search on "religionology"?

One issued by the Jim and Tammie Fay Baker Institute for Charity, Religion
and Higher Education, the other by Oral Roberts University of Religion and
Fairy Tales.

Can you provide verifiable evidence that said institutions exist outside of
your imagination?

Comments like that do not contribute to the discussion and get you
killfiled.

Old May 8th 07, 05:41 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
SBC Yahoo

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message

"SBC Yahoo" wrote in message
I think GWB has two PhD's in Religonology

That statement is demonstrably false- if you use a word like
"religionology", then you aren't thinking.

Have you made any effort to verify this, or are you talking out of your
ass? Have you even run a Google search on "religionology"?

One issued by the Jim and Tammie Fay Baker Institute for Charity,
Religion and Higher Education, the other by Oral Roberts University of
Religion and Fairy Tales.

Can you provide verifiable evidence that said institutions exist outside
of your imagination?

Comments like that do not contribute to the discussion and get you
killfiled.

Humor can be above some who claim to possess intellect (as well as many that
actually have a fine intellect). I make up my word, I define it the way I
like it. If it is ok for the blacks to make up their own version of English
(Eubonics), I can make up a word or two. I don't care if anyone in any
newsgroup reads anything I write, so killfile away. After looking at the
content of most users of the newsgroups, they are either deranged lunatics,
or complete morons, devoid of any intellect whatsoever. There is still a
tiny percent of users that actually could pass a IQ test (+100), and some
that actually know what they are talking about. But then everyone is
entitled to their opinion, but some of us actually get paid for our opinions
on certain matters. (That does not mean we are right, just ca$hing in!)

Killfile this, (imagination engaged),

Old May 8th 07, 06:07 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"SBC Yahoo" wrote in message
. net...

Humor can be above some

You're not the first who later claimed an insult was "humor".

After looking at the
content of most users of the newsgroups, they are either deranged
lunatics, or complete morons, devoid of any intellect whatsoever.

Sounds like your audience is a reflection of yourself.

There is still a
tiny percent of users that actually could pass a IQ test (+100), and some
that actually know what they are talking about.

And they killfile you.

Let's face it- you're a coward who hides behind a fake name.