Re mt Arena telescope

Old December 26th 03, 01:06 PM
david

Default Re mt Arena telescope

Guys, sorry for the lack of info...I wasn't sure what to give.

Anyway, its a 500mm focal length reflecting telescope, it has the optical
eyepeices coming out of the sdie (Newtonian?) and is called a "short tube
catadioptric equatorial reflector telescope".

I have two eyepeices, one is 25mm, AF 40 degrees, the other a 6.5mm AF 50
degrees. Somewhat ironically, I now see both are Plossl!

I also have a Barlow 2x eyepeice.

I see someone thinks I might be over magnifying, pushing the mirror to far I
guess. hadn't thouht of that so thanks!

Mr real interest is to fit my 35mm SLR to it sometime when I am used to
using it. Mind you, I also fascinated by the moon so I can see I am going
to have a lot of fun with this!

However, back to my problem...will my 6.5mm eyepeice (which I reckon gives
me a mag of 500mm/ 6.5mm = 77x) work, should it work or is it just too much
for the scope?

Also, is there anything I should do to / with my scope to get the best from
it? Any "must have" after market bits?

All advice vry gratefully received.

David. Salisbury, Wilts.

Old December 26th 03, 03:47 PM
Robin Leadbeater

500mm is quite a short focal length, better for wide fields than high
magnification. The cheaper high power eyepieces are usually crap
unfortunately and you should probably forget about the barlow (try it with
the 25mm only). Given decent optics, maximum useable magnification depends
on the diameter of your mirror and the atmosphere. 30x per inch is good
figure to use IMO. Even with your 25mm eyepiece, you will get 20x which is
higher than the average binoculars. You are not going to get much planetary
detail at that focal length, but pop in the 25mm eyepiece and aim it at the
Moon, the Pleiades, or the Orion Nebula, prominent at this time of year. If
you do not get a view worth saying wow! at, I would take it back and
complain!

Robin

Old December 26th 03, 06:15 PM
Graham W

david wrote:
[...]
Anyway, its a 500mm focal length reflecting telescope, it has the
optical eyepeices coming out of the sdie (Newtonian?) and is called a
"short tube catadioptric equatorial reflector telescope".

I have two eyepeices, one is 25mm, AF 40 degrees, the other a 6.5mm
AF 50 degrees. Somewhat ironically, I now see both are Plossl!

I also have a Barlow 2x eyepeice.

[...]
However, back to my problem...will my 6.5mm eyepeice (which I reckon
gives me a mag of 500mm/ 6.5mm = 77x) work, should it work or is it
just too much for the scope?

It should work.

In your original post, you said that you were looking at windows about
a mile away. Please be careful that you don't get reported as a stalker
or worse!

Or were you playing safe and using the 'scope indoors and looking
through your own window pane to the outside world? If you were,
that could well be the problem!

Window glass is only optically satisfactory for the naked eye without
magnification and sometimes, not even that.

Opening said window may not solve the problem either as there will
be air currents, thermally indiced by the temperature difference
between the room and outside. These will 'soften' the view and may
also cause image movement over time.

David. Salisbury, Wilts.

Why not pay a visit to the Wessex Astro Society a visit on Tuesday
the 6th Jan 2004 ? Maps and info on the WAS website below.
Make yourself known to someone with a blue rectangular name badge.

--
Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ XP1800+ Page added, Graphics Tutorial

Old December 26th 03, 06:24 PM
david

"Yunus" wrote in message
Can you still let us know what the aperture is?

Oops sorry...140mm.

The box says 150 x 114. Maybe it has a 140 apateur and a 114mm mirror?