Future Robotic Shuttles?

Old September 11th 10, 02:44 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
David Spain

Default Future Robotic Shuttles?

A thought occurred to me today, catching up on the status of the ISS EVAs to replace the broken ammonia pump (sorry I know it's old
news, but I've been busy) that without the shuttle large pieces of broken hardware might collect around the station over time unless
missions are tasked to de-orbit them. And a destructive de-orbit of broken hardware will take the mysteries of their failure
with them.

Again, over time, the inability to return large objects via the shuttle will have an impact. Something to consider. Maybe the old
robotic Buran will see a comeback?

Dave
Old September 11th 10, 03:10 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Eddie Lyons

Buran is long dead and buried. The more likely option is that a more capable
successor to the likes of Dragon might have the down-mass capability to
return failed ORUs from the ISS US segment. But that's dependent on the
overall lifetime of the ISS from now: is it going to be retired after 2020,
or get extended beyond? If it's retired as early as 2020 then there would
likely be no incentive to redevelop the sort of return capability the
Shuttle allowed, because the operational lifetime of such a new spacecraft
would be too short to justify the investment.

Eddie Lyons
Portsmouth, UK

Old September 11th 10, 05:11 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
bob haller safety advocate

On Sep 11, 10:10*am, "Eddie Lyons" wrote:
[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

a obvious solution would of been converting the shuttle to unmaned or
minimal manned and continue flying.

this could of retained the jobs and capabilities.

Old September 13th 10, 01:34 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

In article , nospam@
127.0.0.1 says...

A thought occurred to me today, catching up on the status of the ISS EVAs to replace the broken ammonia pump (sorry I know it's old
news, but I've been busy) that without the shuttle large pieces of broken hardware might collect around the station over time unless
missions are tasked to de-orbit them. And a destructive de-orbit of broken hardware will take the mysteries of their failure
with them.

Again, over time, the inability to return large objects via the shuttle will have an impact. Something to consider. Maybe the old
robotic Buran will see a comeback?

No. Too expensive to resurect.

Jeff
--
The only decision you'll have to make is
Who goes in after the snake in the morning?